What are the happiest ending options for my Roos? Long and rambling post.

My God no don't kill him. He's just exploring his world. He probably was wondering if those scratches were bugs he could eat!
No no! I meant goner as in does he need rehoming. I don’t plan on killing any of my birds other than out of necessity. Like if food became scarce I *might* consider using an older hen that has stopped laying. But honestly I’d have to be REALLY desperate. Like, literally no other options. I know lots of people eat their own chickens, and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that at all. But I personally can’t do it. I just don’t have the heart.

Ok. I have read over this several times, and I am too dumb for this lol. Without meaning to sound snarky at all, just don’t know how else to phrase it- what point are you trying to get across to me, because I’m not picking up what you’re laying down 😅

Costs of feeding chickens? Are you saying I’d be saving ~$24/mo if I got rid of 10 Roos? Or that I have too many chickens? Or just informing me of the costs? Or… ? Sorry I’m being a bit slow on the uptake here. My brain used to work much better! 🤣
I think the post about how much chickens eat and how much 10 roosters cost to feed was just math about how much the extra roosters cost to keep. And $24 per month may sound not too bad. But what if the price of food doubles or triples? Is $48 per month too much to pay for 10 roosters? $72?
What if chicken food is hard to find and you can’t get enough for every one? Would you feed the 10 roosters and cull 10 or 15 hens?

I think the post about how much chickens eat and how much 10 roosters cost to feed was just math about how much the extra roosters cost to keep. And $24 per month may sound not too bad. But what if the price of food doubles or triples? Is $48 per month too much to pay for 10 roosters? $72?
What if chicken food is hard to find and you can’t get enough for every one? Would you feed the 10 roosters and cull 10 or 15 hens?
Thank you! In the event of a grain shortage I may be forced to sell my flock or cull them .I can't free range so cost to feed will be higher soon (like pet food)

Ok, thanks for breaking it down! I honestly was trying to understand the message. I’m not normally this dense, I promise 🤣 I’ve just switched up my thyroid medications and it’s throwing me for a loop, the brain fog is real!

How old are your children? I have kept chickens and roosters for years, and been involved with this forum for years. I have seen countless posts where the darling became the nightmare in a second. If your children are young, you may not be aware of the impending attack until it has happened. I strongly recommend no roosters unless your children are over the age of 6.

Children under age of five, often are the first to be attacked. A rooster will fly up, extending their feet and beak, and flapping their wings hard, and with a small child hit the face or head. Then they move up, taking on women, and finally even men can be attacked. Each attack tends to get more and more violent.

Now inexperienced people will tell you that the darling, became the nightmare in an instant, but more than likely they were misunderstanding the cues of violence that he had been giving out.
  • The seem friendly and approach you - they are in your space, and have no respect for you
  • The fluff up, flap their wings, or crow insistently when you are present - he is challenging you
  • He is curious and watches you, he is sizing you up, and looking for an opening to attack.
  • He flies up on the roost when you come in, he is getting taller than you.
  • He sneaks around you, trying to stay at your back, they will often attack from that position, especially if you bend over to reach for something.
  • He bites you for whatever reason
Do avoid making excuses for aggressive behavior. Red shoes, wrong clothes, touching a hen, whatever, it is not your fault.

A great rooster is a treasure - if you get one, fantastic, but a huge amount of roosters are not, and often ruin the whole chicken experience. There really is not a lot you can do about it, they really don't train or learn correct behavior. It is more of the luck of the draw. One gets the best roosters with a sharp knife. In that you don't keep the rotten ones.

You need to be very aware, especially if there are young children.

Mrs K

I def would not keep that many males around as once hormones hit your hens will be torn badly. Also if you plan on free ranging your gonna lose quite a few aswell due to predators like hawks etc esp if the fencing you plan on using is chicken wire

After I re-read that post - seems so negative, but I do want you to be aware of real possibilities.

Currently I have a mutt rooster that truly is a darling, that is what you need if you have a rooster.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-good-rooster-good-grief.1513798/
And thank you for that! All but one of my kids are 9 and up. My 4yo is on the spectrum and IS NOT ALLOWED NEAR THE CHICKENS. EVER! That is being very strictly enforced, both for their safety and his. He doesn’t understand how to be gentle, and has a hard enough time reading humans and their cues. I could never expect him to notice much less interpret Chicken behavior.

Back
Top Bottom