What Are The Most Productive Farm Animals???

I haven't seen tons of mini cows, but the Jerseys I've seen are larger than the Dexters or mini shorthorns. A Dexter cow usually tops out around 36 inches, that's pretty short. I'm not sure what the carcass weight is, but I'd rather eat beef than goat any day of the week. Then again, I have a big soft spot for pigs, just didn't mention them as they didn't seem to fit your criteria. Keep in mind you can easily barter beef or pork. there might be a trade market for lamb if you have more than you can eat, but I'm not sure there's much for goat.

The first step to good and productive farming and good husbandry is to do some tests. Test your soil. What kind of soil do you have? Light soil with lots of sand, heavy clay soil, or something in between? What about the ph of the soil, minerals ect. What klimat zone are you in? Do you have long dry spells or do you have long rain periods? Is it windy? How much shade? You can find diffent soil test kids in the feed or suply stores. Sometimes you can get a free test from companies that sell fertilisers. Or you look at the weeds that are around. Some weeds are very good soil indicators.
The goal is to finde the animal or breed that is comfortable with the environment and raise your awareness to potential problems in that environment. You have horses so you know already many things they don't like. A horse does not want to stand on muddy soil all day, they have problems with too fat grass, long rain periods and drafty barns. You know how to fight a horse fly infestation and prevent worms.
Every animal has things they don't like, should not eat and a flies/ worms that can cause illnesses.
If you live on a windy, cold and wet corner with soil that produces more heather than grass, you may have problems to raise happy, healthy cows but highland cattle may do great and skudden sheeps would love it.
Don't worry, your land may be woodland that is dotted with little spings or a dry grass patch on a plateau there is a livestock breed that will love exactly what you have.
It is always better to have a good adapted breed that may produce a little less, than a potential high productive breed that that has all you want but that gets sick the moment it leaves the stable.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't it bad for milk production if a dairy animal pulls a cart? I heard that since a dairy animal needs all its energy to produce milk, they will not be able to focus all that energy on milk production if they are pulling a cart. If that is true i would suggest getting Jerseys, and getting a heifer to breed for milk and then a steer, or a cow you don't intend to breed to pull the cart. I wouldn't get a bull, Jersey bulls are horrifically nasty.

You are right it is not the best idea to use a lactating cow for pulling and a bull will not be very cooperative, so traditional the ox was the solution to that problem. But I heard about very friendly Zebu/Brahma-type Bulls and Waterbuffelos that were be trained for pulling and riding.

You are right it is not the best idea to use a lactating cow for pulling and a bull will not be very cooperative, so traditional the ox was the solution to that problem. But I heard about very friendly Zebu/Brahma-type Bulls and Waterbuffelos that were be trained for pulling and riding.

I never thought of water buffalo being an option for farm work. I guess because they are basically nonexistent as livestock in NJ! Another interesting option that i just thought of- a large Boer buck. They won't eat as much as cows and can still pull a decent size cart.

If you have a large dog or two, just train it to pull a cart. They like to work and its good for them.
Put all your animals to use!

Water buffalo are very common in Italy for the original Morzzarella and I thought I saw Mozzarella (the real one not the plastic stuff) in the US and assumed that you have water buffalos.... and traditional used for plowing in most rice growing regions.
A bock? As you surely know goats declare their love for each other by a quite unique bouquet of fragrances and not everyone can stand a bock that exudes his love to his girls or the way he perfumes himself.....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom