What are you canning now?

Quote:
Wash the peppers, pack them in a hot sterilized jar, add salt if desired, pour boiling cider vinegar over leaving about 1/2 of head space, put a lid on the jar.

Quote:
Wash the peppers, pack them in a hot sterilized jar, add salt if desired, pour boiling cider vinegar over leaving about 1/2 of head space, put a lid on the jar.

you only put cider vinegar and no water? Do you have to use a canner or just do above?

I use all vinegar. You should probably process them in a water bath canner.
I don't but I do lots of things I'm not supposed to do.

Quote:
Do you think? My recipie for tomato sauce called for 1/4 cup of oil...
idunno.gif

I bought a pack of Mrs. Wages kosher dill mix, and I wanted to make the refrigerator pickles, but couldn't find the mix for it. My question is, could I use the process mix instead and just refrigerate the pickles? I'm pretty sure on the refrigerated pickle mix it states you can process the pickles if you want to keep them on a shelf, and I'm thinking you can do it the other way around too. any one ever try this?

Quote:
Do you think? My recipie for tomato sauce called for 1/4 cup of oil...
idunno.gif

Where did you get the recipe? If it's a tested and approved recipe you have nothing to worry about. If it's not... you may or may not have something to worry about. Home canning of oil is thought to increase the risk of botulism growth in the food, but in some cases where the food is very acidic a little oil may be called for. People tend to feel strongly about canning either one way or the other -- some are firmly in the "only use tested recipes" camp, while others are okay with a little risk if the recipe has been used for many years without any reports of illness. Only you can decide which camp you belong in.

Quote:
Do you just want to can them or would you like to pickle and can them? If you want them pickled then you will use vinegar and they can be water bathed, but if you just want to can them without pickling, then you will need to pressure can them and no vinegar is required.

For just canning them you remove the skins and seeds, pack in pint jars covering with boiling water and leaving 1" headspace and then process for 35 min at 10lbs pressure (or appropriate pressure for your altitude.)

For pickling the only recipe I have calls for slicing, rather than whole peppers. You then pack pint jars to 1/2" headspace with the sliced peppers, cover with boiling pickling liquid (1:3 water to vinegar, boiled with some garlic cloves to infuse the taste) and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

For all those in the better safe than sorry camp I would advise going to an authoritative source like the National Center for Home Food Preservation here----> http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/

At least as a reality check to compare to advice given by real or virtual friends. Probably would not be a bad idea to compare two sources. Typos and mistakes happen.

Back
Top Bottom