What are you canning now?

Can I come to your house for dinner?
smile.png
lol

My recipe has you ferment the peppers in a cider vinegar and then drain the liquid to can.

Without looking I believe its something like finely chopped hot peppers, including seeds, as much as you can get. (Puree if you can!) Add 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt per cup of chopped pepper. Put in a deep bowl (not clear) maybe a crock pot. Then cover your mixture with vinegar until it comes up OVER the peppers. Cover with a cloth towel and put aside to fermant for 4-6 weeks.

Then strain and bottle!

Quote:
Around here a lot of people make pepper sauce by just pouring boiling hot cider vinegar over the peppers and then sealing. No processing. More for the flavored vinegar to put on greens than for the actual peppers.

I'm having my first go around with attepmting sauerkraut! I started it Saturday. I checked it last night and fermentation has started but I have a question. There was about 3-4 inches of brine over the top of the cabbage and a plate pushing the cabbage down when I started it but it seems now to be only about 2 inches of brine. I have a towel over it sitting in my kitchen. Is that normal? I took off some scum last night and pushed it back down. I'm guessing I should not add any more brine during the fermentation time???? So if I'm low on juice at the end, do I make more then? I've got about 15 lbs (3 gallons) going in a stone crock.

Does anyone here think it would alter anything if I coat the peppers in olive oil and roast or grill them before I make the jam? Mmmm roasted pepper jam...as a glaze it would be amazing.

I'm thinking if you are cooking the oil off it should be fine, however if you were to leave the oil going into the container for canning oil goes rancid and wouldn't work?!

Back
Top Bottom