What are you canning now?

Last edited:
So, I canned carrots last night, around 7:00, this morning, sadly two did not seal. They are still slightly warm, can I put them in the frig for dinner tonight, safely?
That is what I do.
Did you leave them in the canner? It is all sterile in there and nothing could spoil between then and now.
It is like a canned jar in a canned can.

la la la la la la la kick your legs up...too early for can can jokes. sorry.

I pl
Did you know that there is a recipe log here on BYC?
Go up to search and type in 'cowboy candy' and it will come up.

recipe index
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/63116/recipe-index/0_50

Candied jalapenos,aka cowboy candy
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/canning-recipe-candied-jalapenos-aka-cowboy-candy

The ten egg pound cake is one of my favorites.

There are canning recipes there too.
an on checking that out as soon as I finish reading the entire Grandpa thread. I only have about 30 more pages. I've found some really good ideas, some I've had to go look for an egg free version but that's ok.

What is cowboy candy?

I used to make Cowboy Caviar sometimes from Betty Crocker. It's chickpeas, a sweet red pepper, a jalepeño, oil and vinegar and salt and pepper. You allow it to sit overnight before serving. I wonder if that could be canned.

Today's canner load:

5 12 oz Sweet Michigan Cerries & Almond Jam

2 12oz + 6oz Tart Blueberry Lime jam

2 pts pickled beets & onion

3 12oz + 60z Apricot Peach Orange Conserve

Rancher, I only had 2 peaches in that conserve, but I had everything boiling in my stockpot, and I let it cool a little before I put it into the jars. Then I let it cool a little more, then used my poker tool to push everything down, it was all down ... 2 hrs later the whole fruit had floated to the top. Phew.
I have three cookbooks for jams and a few other books around here. I'll have a look and see what they say.

This is what I found:
Recommendations for canning summer squashes, including zucchini, that appeared in former editions of So Easy to Preserve or USDA bulletins have been withdrawn due to uncertainty about the determination of processing times. Squashes are low-acid vegetables and require pressure canning for a known period of time that will destroy the bacteria that cause botulism. Documentation for the previous processing times cannot be found, and reports that are available do not support the old process. Slices or cubes of cooked summer squash will get quite soft and pack tightly into the jars. The amount of squash filled into a jar will affect the heating pattern in that jar. It is best to freeze summer squashes or pickle them for canning, but they may also be dried.

you can pickle it though. and make relish out of it.
http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/yellow-summer-squash-relish?keycode=ZPIN0813

Last edited:
That is what I do. 
Did you leave them in the canner? It is all sterile in there and nothing could spoil between then and now.
It is like a canned jar in a canned can.

la la la la la la la kick your legs up...too early for can can jokes. sorry.

No, didn't leave in the canner as I use Tattler lids and you have to tighten as you remove from the canner. Sigh, the compost pile will enjoy!

Can you can can? Legs up!

I would like a trip, but DW is going through Chemo right now so trips are out.

Your basic jelly and jams are very easy and don't need a pressure canner. I did have a pressure canner once and it's not to scary if you keep an eye on it. I did carrots once and my hands were all orange from peeling them.

DW sews she's not into canning. Right now she's making dresses for the grand daughters. She is also a very good cook.

You should have gotten a book with your canner. Read the instructions and take the plunge. I think one of the things folks do is think they can just walk away and leave it. Use your microwave for a timer. Too, give it time to cool down.

I recently watch a show on PBS where a lady made Strawberry jam and NO canner. She use Paraffin wax to seal. THAT scares me. She made up the jam, let it sit to cool, put it in the jars and then poured the melted wax over it.

I just thought of something. Youtube. I'm sure there are videos there on canning.

As for my Raspberries. I've watch the Maine video on growing them but it did me know good. I think I've just got to invest more time into them. AND KEEP THE CHICKENS OUT OF THEM.
lol.png
I got the canner from a friend who's mom used to own it, they got it when she passed away. It didn't have a book, and I can't seem to find my grandma's pressure book, but I have her canner too.

I got everything I need for making my apple pie filling, except for the Clear Jell, can I do it without it? I found a recipe that says you can use a cup of starch instead but the reviews say it isn't the same and not safe. I have Red Delicious apples, I know I should be using a tarter apple but this is what I was given by my dad and I have 20 pounds on my counter and 10 more pounds at my dad's in the fridge.

Cornstarch is a No-No for canning. Clear-Jell is the substitute.

Last week I made a Raspberry Syrup for pancakes, which was quite thin. The recipe notes, from the Ball Blue Book, said that if the cook were to desire a thicker syrup for serving, to open the can from storage, heat it on the stove just prior to serving, and then add some cornstarch. Only immediately prior to serving, never part of the canning recipe. In my mind, it seems like the same idea would work for apples also, but I haven't tried it. Maybe someone else has?

Back
Top Bottom