What are you canning now?

Here in Central New York its strawberry picking time. Yesterday I picked 8 quarts, and made jam. Last night 10 half pints, this morning 9 more. My husband loves it more than any other and is on the last jar from last year. Maybe this will make home feel secure.

Strawberries are over for us here in southern Indiana. We actually tilled under a 6' x 20' row of them last night to replant a different variety. I did get 8 pint and a half jars of French style green beans done. First time ever for green beans. And my frencher only will cut 4 beans at a time
1f625.png

Last edited:
We got a farmer who sets up a strawberry stand in front of our store and I'm going to snag a couple flats of strawberries today. Last day of their season so I'm stocking up and freezing a bunch for the winter. Already have a few jars of jam so maybe the stuff I don't freeze will become something else. I'm wanting to attempt a strawberry version of brandy and cherries.

I was hoping one of you folks could help with a question I have in regards to a conversion. I am unable to find dill heads or blooms, and that is what the recipe calls for.

I have plenty of dill weed, or dill seed but unsure if it will still work, and if acceptable, what the amount of either I should use. I am using the Blue Book recipe for Dilly Beans, in case you need to read the recipe.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!!!

Kacey

I was hoping one of you folks could help with a question I have in regards to a conversion. I am unable to find dill heads or blooms, and that is what the recipe calls for.

I have plenty of dill weed, or dill seed but unsure if it will still work, and if acceptable, what the amount of either I should use. I am using the Blue Book recipe for Dilly Beans, in case you need to read the recipe.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!!!

Kacey

Sorry for the delay in responding. With garden season starting, I don't get on the computer all that much any more.

I found this on one of my reference web-sites - sorry, but I don't remember which one.

In a pinch, add crushed dry dill weed in place of the fresh dill to your favorite pickle recipe. Add a few pinches of dried dill seed to boost the flavor, if desired.
Crush the dry dill to release some of the flavor. Try grinding it in a mortar and pestle or simply the palms of your hands.
Tip

• Many recipes call for a certain number of dill "sprigs" or a "head" of dill. The size of dill weed plants can vary greatly. In general, though, it is safe to estimate that two sprigs will equal one tablespoon of fresh or one teaspoon of dried dill. A head would equal about three tablespoons of fresh or three teaspoons of dried dill.

I have a small stand selling my jams & jellies at a local farmers market. I'm running low on a lot of things so this week is a major jelly making week. So far this week I've made Grape Jelly, Sugar Free Grape Jelly, Cherry Jam, Sugar Free Cherry Jam, Crawfish Jelly and Thai Pepper Jelly. I still have to make Sugar Free Blueberry Jam, Peach Vanilla Bourbon Jam & Raspberry Reaper Pepper Jelly.

I really have to stay organized to get all this cooking done efficiently. I get my pectin in bulk from Pomona Pectin and Pacific Pectin. I buy my jars & lids in bulk from a local distributor. Went there Monday & picked up 24 dozen boxes. When I'm processing my fruit, I buy in bulk and then freeze in vacuum bags in the amount that I use for a batch. Right now, peaches are in season, so I've been buying the seconds from a vendor at the farmers market. Peel & chop them & freeze in 8 cups batches. I grow a lot of my own peppers, so the habanero, jalapeno, thai & reaper peppers get frozen in the amount I use in a batch.

I've also learned that you can double most recipes. I give it a try & if it's successful, I use the doubled recipe. One thing that makes doubling successful is to bring the jam to 220 degrees rather than boiling for 1-2 minutes. This way, I can make 12-16 jars at a time rather than 6-8. Also STEAM CANNER!! Since they've been determined to be safe for water bath canning, it has cut my processing time by at least half.

I love to experiment with new recipes & flavor combinations. 2 years ago, I made a plain peach jam that didn't sell at all. In browsing the web, I found the Peach Vanilla Bourbon Jam recipe and it's been a big seller! Both Pomona and Pacific Pectin have great help lines if I ever have questions.

I'll never get rich selling at the farmers market, but it does help supplement our retirement income. Plus I've made some great friends with the other vendors and customers. And the customers' dogs also!!

Back
Top Bottom