What are you canning now?

I made ketchup with the tomatoes I froze this year and I loved doing it that way. You don't have to cook it down nearly as much, just thaw them in a colander in the sink and most of the liquid drains off right then. Saves so much time and hassle.

Another thing I've done is blanch/skin my tomatoes outside on the grill so as not to heat up the house. I do big batches because we eat a lot of tomato based foods. I fill a big tub with water and ice, put two big pots on the grill and turn the burners on high to get them boiling and then pull all the tomatoes up in buckets. Blanch, blanch, blanch as fast as I can work with the two pots going at once and just scoop them out and drop them in the ice water. Once the tub gets full I move on to another and another. And then I pull up a chair and skin when I'm done blanching all I've got. Toss the skins in a bucket that goes directly to the compost. It's the most efficient way I've found to go big batches at once and it saves a lot of heat and mess in the house, too. If I'm freezing them I put them right in gallon size ziplocs as I skin them, if I'm planning to can then I transfer them to large bowls, covering each one as I fill it up and then bring them in and pack jars right from the bowls.

Last edited:
I love Grapefruit
droolin.gif
droolin.gif
- so I thought I was being real cleaver when I bought 3 bags at Costco for $7.49 a piece for canning so I could have them throughout the summer months. Well, I only managed to get 7 quarts from the 30 grapefruit. Then I made the mistake of doing the math and the quarts cost me $3.75 each. But at least I know how the grapefruit was packaged and its just grapefruit and its natural juice. Lesson learned don't do the math - just enjoy!!

Sandee

Quote:
Sometimes that is so true. But the value of home canning is not always in being cheaper.

You always get a better tasting and healthier product by homecanning...sans chemicals and preservatives...that's worth a lot to me. Fortunately most often, in terms of ingredients, it's cheaper to can your own products.

Does anyone sell their canned goods? Apparently I make the world's best mushrooms. I broke open two jars yesterday and now I have two nice clean jars to make more. Every time people try it they tell me I should think about selling it. I'm just worried about licencing expenses and $. D:

Quote:
Hi Sandee,

How did you do this? My grandma has a grapefruit tree that is loaded with fruit. No one really likes them but I enjoy them. I would love to be able to can some & have it handy. Thanks!

Quote:
Does the Australian government have information on the web? Here in the states just about all of that information can be found online and varies state to state. If not, calling your local branch of whatever government entity handles it should probably do the trick.

Quote:
Hi Sandee,

How did you do this? My grandma has a grapefruit tree that is loaded with fruit. No one really likes them but I enjoy them. I would love to be able to can some & have it handy. Thanks!

I posted a few. and so did someone else on this thread last fall. who knows how far back, but I saved the link for one or two. But I don't know what file they are in. I will get back.

http://fcit.usf.edu/florida/docs/c/citrus2.htm
http://www.pickyourown.org/canningcitrus.php

Last edited:
Yeah, if you are willing to share that mushroom recipe it would be appreciated! I made mushrooms and my sisters went nutz for them. I think they are too vinegary...

Back
Top Bottom