What are you canning now?

Muscadine sauce and muscadine jelly are DONE. I am going to North Georgia in about a week to get apples... lots and lots of apples! I can't wait to get started on those.

Aber, I got muscadines in buckets waiting on me now... I couldn't believe how many got dropped off this morning. I wasn't ready for them!!!!

roll.png

Since August I have canned pickled yellow squash, pickled okra, cucumber pickles, strawberry jam, pear jam, apple pie jam, peaches in light syrup and pears in light syrup. I have had a blast. This is my first year and I'm really enjoying myself! I am hoping to can some jalapeno pepper and some green beans sometime soon. I love this thread!

Happy chooks, did you ever figure out what to do with your poblanos?
I am to the point that I will have to do something. They are starting to bury me.
Such enthusiastic plants, they are.

I suppose I will pressure can them. They are getting too small to roast, but too big to not do something.
I made cowboy candy with the jalapenos yesterday, I wonder if I could do that with the smallest poblanos?

...or, I could feed them to the chickens.
hmm.png

Last edited:
I was going to pickle them, but I used some to grill and peel to add to things. They're good on pizza and with eggs. The kids don't like hot things and neither does the DH, so I have to be careful about adding them to stuff.

I haven't done it yet, but I want to do Ken's recipe of stuffing them with a slice of cheese and a slice of bacon and grilling them.

I'm intrigued on the cowboy candy as well.

Quote:
Cowboy candy!!?? What in tar nation is that?
big_smile.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/recipes/?p=recipe&recipe=519
It is in the recipe data base.
One day I am going to print it all out. Then, I am going to go through this thread and the baking thread and print it all out, then slide them in those plastic covers and put it all in a three ring binder. I figure it will cost me hundreds of dollars in ink, but nifty's not doing it. Cookbook part 2 ? eh? Just one from this canning thread would be so great, But maybe there are not enough of us here to make it worthwhile.
hmm.png

I think it is because he knows if I have to look it all up on BYC, then I my turn off the computer.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom