What are you mixing now? Dry mixes, Gifts-In-A-Jar, Herb Blends, etc

I have these for Bisquick-types. I use the whole wheat variation.

Biscuit Mix

Recipe using all-purpose flour:
· 9 cups all-purpose flour
· 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
· 1/4 cup baking powder
· 1 cup nonfat dry milk powder
· 2 cups solid vegetable shortening

Recipe using self-rising flour:
· 10 cups self-rising flour (this already has salt and baking powder added to it)
· 1 cup nonfat dry milk powder
· 2 cups solid vegetable shortening

Recipe for Whole Wheat Baking Mix

· 4 cups all-purpose flour
· 4 cups whole wheat flour
· 1/4 cup baking powder
· 2 teaspoons salt
· 1 1/2 cups nonfat dry milk powder
· 1 3/4 cups shortening

For any of the three variations:
Stir dry ingredients together until well mixed. With pastry blender, cut in the shortening until well blended. Mixture should resemble corn meal in texture. Put in large airtight container. Store in a cool dry place.

I've seen other recipes that do not use dry milk. It can be omitted from these recipes if you don't like to use it.

A little cookbook titled "The Perfect Mix" got me started on making my own mixes about 15 yrs ago. So much better and healthier than buying packaged stuff!
smile.png

I make my own seasoned salts.
I use:

Kosher Salt
Ground black pepper
Various herbs and seasonings depending on flavor, season or availability.

David, that sounds interesting. Do you follow a recipe or maybe basic ratios that you could share?

This is a great cake mix for the pantry shelf, or fills a quart jar nicely for a Gift-In-A-Jar. This is one of my favorite mixes because it makes such a nice, richly flavored cake.

Dark Rich Chocolate Cake Mix

1 cup unbleached white flour
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/4 cup dry buttermilk powder (see note below for substitute)
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon instant coffee crystals

For storage, mix everything together in a gallon ziplock bag. Store on the pantry shelf until needed. Make several at once for the most convenience. Or layer everything in a quart jar for gifts.

To Prepare (for gifts, attach these instructions to the jar)
1 package of Dark Rich Chocolate Cake Mix
2 cups water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs

Empty the cake mix into a big bowl. Stir to combine well. Add the water, oil and eggs. Beat with a whisk or electric beaters for about 2 minutes, or until the mixture is smooth and any lumps are gone. Turn the batter into a well greased 13 x 9 pan. Bake at 350° for about 35 to 40 minutes. The sides should be pulled away from the sides of the pan, and a toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean. Do not to overbake. Cool and frost as desired.

To substitute for the buttermilk powder:
Omit the buttermilk powder from mix. For mixing, reduce water to 1 cup, add 1 cup fresh buttermilk.

OR Omit the buttermilk powder from mix. For mixing, reduce water to 1 cup, add 1 cup sour milk. To make sour milk: Place 1 Tbl lemon juice or white vinegar in a measuring cup. Add milk to equal 1 cup. Stir. Let stand for 15 minutes until it looks like its slightly curdled.

Last edited:
Quote:
Im a "handy" guy and use my hand as the basic measuring tool.

1 handful Kosher salt
1/4 handful freshly ground black pepper
1/4 handful dried herbs and spices, finely crushed.

Kosher salt is always the preferred cooking salt, due to its texture and the way it kind of 'explodes' as it breaks down. Sea salt is to crystalline and crunchy and table slat is too fine. Kosher salt is just right.

My faves are

Italian Salt: Oregano, Basil, Rosemary, Thyme, fennel
Mid Eastern Salt: Oregano, Turmeric, Paprika, Cumin
Sal de Provence: Basil, Marjoram, thyme, parsley, bay leaf, fennel

You can vary the basic ratios, of course. I like it salty-savory, you may like less salt.

Last edited:
You guys are great....here is one I use a lot...everyone likes it.

Italian Herb and Dried Tomato Risotto Mix

3 1/2 cups Arborio rice
3/4 cup snipped dried tomatoes (NOT in oil)
3 Tbsp dried minced onion
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp dried sage leaves or dried basil, crushed
1 tsp dried garlic
1/2 tsp pepper

Divide equally among four 1/2 pint jars, layering attractively. Add additional rice and tomatoes to fill small gaps if necessary.

GIFT TAG DIRECTIONS:
Bring 3 1/2 cups chicken broth or stock to a boil, then reduce heat. In a deep sided skillet, empty the contents of one jar. Over medium heat, add stock to rice 1 cup at a time, allowing it to absorb almost completely before adding the next. Check rice for doneness after 3 cups. (It should take approximately 20 minutes to get this far). If needed, add remaining broth. Rice should be tender but firm. Stir in 1/4 cup Parmigiano Reggiano or Romano cheese.

Quote:
That sounds really good. Can I use jasmine rice instead of arborio? Would it change the flavor much? I have 20 lbs of jasmine rice, but no arborio.

I'm making up several jars of this one today for farmers market sales.

Rocky Road Brownies
Fills a quart jar, yields about 16 brownies

1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1 Tbsp instant coffee granules
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows, divided
1 4-oz bag semi-sweet chocolate pieces
1 (32 oz) quart glass jar with lid and band

Combine sugar, flour, instant coffee granules, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl, stirring to blend evenly.

Place mixture into a jar. Pack firmly. Layer walnuts, miniature marshmallows and semi-sweet chocolate pieces into the jar in the order given. Cover with lid

For Directions/Gift Tag
1/2 cup unsalted butter, divided
3 large eggs
1 Tbsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350º F. Remove mix from jar, keeping layers separate.

Melt semi-sweet chocolate pieces, 1 cup miniature marshmallows and 1/4 cup unsalted butter in a saucepan over low heat.

Beat 1/4 cup butter, eggs and vanilla for 5 minutes, using the highest speed of an electric mixer. Add melted chocolate mixture to butter mixture and blend on low speed. Stir in sugar mixture, walnuts and remaining miniature marshmallows just until ingredients are moistened.

Pour batter into a foil lined 9- x 9-inch baking pan. Bake at 350º F for 35 to 40 minutes, or until edges start to pull away from the pan. Cool. Lift foil and brownies from the pan. Discard foil. Cut brownies into 2-inch squares.

What a great idea Kim. Having all the mix recipes in one place will be handy.
I have a cream soup mix that I like to use. I'll post it this afternoon.

prairiegirl

Back
Top Bottom