What are you mixing now? Dry mixes, Gifts-In-A-Jar, Herb Blends, etc

Quote:
I'd still like to have your cream soup mix recipe.
smile.png

This week I'm going to make up Cake Mixes for the pantry. These are useful to have on hand. No additives like the commercial boxed mixes. I make 6 at a time. Use them in place of boxed cake mix for any recipe.

Cake Mix
(for 6)
3 1/3 Cups Shortening
5 Tbl Baking Powder
7 2/3 Cups Sugar
3 Tbl Salt
11 Cups Flour, Sifted

In very large bowl, combine flour, salt, sugar and baking powder and mix well to blend. Cut in shortening with two knives or a pastry blender until the mixture looks like cornmeal and shortening is evenly distributed.

Divide the cake mix into six equal portions (about 3-1/2 cups each). Place each portion into a quart glass jar or heavy duty zip lock plastic bags. Cover tightly and store in a cool, dark place for up to a month, or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Each portion of cake mix will make two 8" cakes or one 13x9" cake.

Instructions/Variations (use for gift tags as well)

Yellow Cake
3 1/2 Cups Cake Mix (1 pkg)
1 tsp Vanilla
2 Eggs
3/4 Cup Milk

Oven Temp ~ 350°
Baking Time ~ 30 - 40 Min.
Pan Type ~ two 8 inch or one 9 x13 pan.
Preheat oven, grease and flour cake pans and set aside.

Pour one pkg of the cake mix into a large bowl. Make a well in center of mix and add eggs, vanilla and milk. Beat mixture 1 minute with electric mixer at low speed until blended. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl and beat 2 minutes longer at medium speed until batter is smooth.

Pour into prepared pans and bake until cake springs back when pressed lightly in center and begins to pull away from edges of pan.

White Cake

Use 3 medium egg whites in place of 2 whole eggs.
Do not beat whites separately, just add them to the mix along with the milk and vanilla.

Spice Cake
Add to the dry cake mix:
1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Allspice
1/4 tsp Cloves

Chocolate Cake
Add to the batter after initial blending:
2 Tbl Milk
2 Squares Unsweetened Chocolate, Melted

Yep. Here the ingredients to make just one cake mix if you want to try it before making a bunch.

1/2 Cup Shortening
2 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1 1/4 Cups Sugar
1 1/2 tsp Salt
1 1/2 + 1/3 Cups Sifted Flour

Here's a mix you can make in place of buying Hamburger Helper. Convenient to have on hand, and much healthier than those processed box mixes.

Almost Hamburger Helper

2 cups nonfat dry milk (see note for substitute)
1 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup beef bouillon powder
2 tablespoons onion flakes
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons dried parsley
1 tablespoon garlic powder

Mix the ingredients together and store in an air-tight container.

Note if you don't like to use dry milk: Omit dry milk from mix recipe. Reduce water in following dinner recipes by 2/3 cup. Add 2/3 cup regular milk.

Use mix as a base for the following dinners.

Chili Mac:
1 lb ground beef, browned and drained
1 cup water
1/2 cup macaroni noodles (uncooked)
2 cans chopped tomatoes
1 T chili powder
1/2 cup mix

Combine all and simmer 20 minutes or until macaroni is cooked

Stroganoff:
1 lb. ground beef, browned and drained
2 cup water
1/2 cup mix
2 cup uncooked egg noodles
1/2 cup sour cream

Combine all except sour cream. Simmer 20 minutes or until noodles are tender. Stir in sour cream and serve.

Potato Beef Casserole:
3/4 cup water
6 potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
1 cup frozen mixed veggies
1/2 cup mix

Combine all and simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove cover and cook until excess water is evaporated.

Quick Lasagna:
1/2 c mix
1 onion, chopped
2 c water
16 oz tomato sauce
3 cup lasagna noodles, uncooked, broken in bits
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded

Combine all except mozzarella in large skillet. Bring to a boil, let simmer for 15 minutes or until noodles are cooked. Top with mozzarella. Turn off heat and let cheese

Edited to substitute for regular milk for dry milk for those who object to using it.

Last edited:
Sandee - Thanks! There are only the two of us as well. But I still make the mixes because we don't like the chemicals, etc in most boxed/packaged/processed foods. Making my own gives us the convenience of those things, but in a healthier version. LOL

Some of them I also sell at the farmers markets - such as soup, rice and pasta mixes, also spice blends from homegrown herbs . They do best for me in Fall and close to the holiday season. And of course, I gift them at Christmas.

Kim

edit: my fingers don't want to type this morning!

Last edited:
Quote:
Kim - well, you encouraged me to try some of these then. I'm with you 100% in not wanting to eat all the chemicals in prepacked stuff and having the knowledge of where our food comes from. I also like the idea of gift giving.

Sandee

Back
Top Bottom