What are you mixing now? Dry mixes, Gifts-In-A-Jar, Herb Blends, etc

Kim_NC

Songster
10 Years
Jan 27, 2009
Mt Airy, NC
Since we all seem to enjoy the canning, baking, etc threads for sharing recipes and ideas, I thought perhaps a thread dedicated to dry items you make at home would be interesting. (A request for dry gravy mix on the canning thread brought it to mind.)

I'm thinking of things like dry mixes that you store in the cupboard or pack in gift jars. Many of these save money and are healthier than the commercial products like:
- cake mixes or cookie mixes
- biscuit or pancake mixes
- pasta mixes or rice mixes
- recipes for typical store bought mixes like dry salad dressing or dip mix
- recipes for meat rubs, herb blends

SooOOOooo....What are you mixing now?

I'll start us off with a homemade Hush Puppy Mix I like to keep on hand

Hush Puppy Mix

1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons dried minced onion
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well. Store in a resealable plastic bag or jar. Makes 2 1/4 cups mix.

To prepare: In a deep skillet, heat 1 1/2 inches of vegetable oil to 350 degrees F.

In a medium bowl, combine mix with 1 1/2 cups buttermilk and 1 beaten egg. Stir until well blended. Drop mixture by spoonfuls into hot oil. Fry until golden brown and thoroughly cooked through. Drain on paper towels and serve.

Last edited:
bring it on ..
pop.gif

there was post for cookies in a jar befor x-mass..witch i made abought 10 of them for gifts..always looking for new ideas.

45452_000_0265.jpg

found it https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=275857
but
plz add more..
wee.gif

Last edited:
Those look lovely! What kind of jar did you use? They look different than a mason to me.

I get so busy the last couple weeks before Christmas. I had missed that post! How nice of Robin'sBrood to share all those recipes. Here's a summary of them and links. (I'll submit these to the recipe index for Terrielacy & MissPrissy.)

Gifts-In-A-Jar Cookie Mixes
Cookie Mix
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=3316835#p3316835

Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=3316865#p3316865

Oatmeal Cookie Mix
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=3316883#p3316883

Peanut Butter Cookie Mix
Orange Slice Cookie Mix
Grand Slam Triple Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=3318607#p3318607

M&M Cookie Mix
Pecan Cookie Mix
Molasses Cookie Mix
Chocolate Pecan Chewies Cookie Mix
White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookie Mix
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=3322863#p3322863

Oatmeal, Raisin & Spice Cookie Mix
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=3324000#p3324000
------------------------

Hopefully we'll get lots more shared on this thread. Then I'll summmarize those with links for the recipe index too.

Here's one from me for today. It looks really pretty in the jar with all it's colored layers. Makes a nice hearty soup too.
Italian Pasta Fagiola Soup Mix

3/4 cups dried great northern beans
3/4 cups pinto beans
3/4 cups red beans
1/4 cup dried chopped onion
2 teaspoons dried minced garlic
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried celery flakes
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
4 chicken boullion cubes or 4 tsp chicken boullion granules
1 bay leaf
1 1/4 cup small pasta, (shells, bowties or ditalini or penne)

Layer beans into bottom of jar. Level each variety of beans as you add them to get a nice layed look. Combine all herbs, spices and boullion in a small ziplock bag or bagette. Add to jar. Package the pasta separately in a ziploc sandwich bag, and add to the jar. Slide the bay leaf into the side of the jar.

I’d put the bay leaf on top, looks pretty neat when you open it and get a surprise, or just place it down the side of the jar, and pour in the other ingredients.

Attach recipe below, to jar:

2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 carrot, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1/2 lb. ham chopped
2 - 28 oz. cans Italian plum tomatoes, chopped
4 cups water

Soak all dry beans from the mix in water overnight and drain. In a large pot, sauté carrot, celery, and ham in olive oil. Add tomatoes, water, spice packet, and soaked beans. Bring to a boil. Cover partially, reduce heat and simmer 2-3 hours till beans are tender. Pasta may be added now. Cook about 5-7 minutes or until pasta is al dente. You may even want to cook pasta separate, place in the bottom of your bowl and then spoon hot soup over the pasta. Garnish with shredded Parmesan cheese.

they are from wall-mart, 1 quart short-wide mouth jars abought $4.00 each..i cant rember the name of them ( M-something) wall mart was out of Mason Jars.

they worked good for the Oatmeal, Raisin & Spice, and Chocolate Pecan Chewies..but didnt work to good with the M&M and Chocolate Chip..the jar was to wide the M&M just got lost in the flower-sugar and you chouldent see them..if i had my choice i whould of used tall Mason Jars..

Ball came out with some new jar shapes last season they called Collection Elite in pint and half pint. I liked them, but they were way pricey. LOL. Maybe they'll come down on the price this season.

Here's one I like to keep in the cupboard. I use it mostly in place of purchased dry ranch dressing mix in recipes.

Ranch Dressing Mix

15 saltine crackers
1 cup dry parsley
1/2 cup dry onions
2 tablespoons thyme
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon onion salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder

Whirl in blender or food processor until crumbs are very small. Store in an airtight container. It will keep for 1 year.

To prepare dressing: whisk together 1 cup mayonnaise, 1 cup buttermilk and 1 tablespoon Ranch Dressing Mix.

Note: You can substitute for the buttermilk by making 'sour milk' - Combine 1 cup milk and 1 Tbl lemon juice or vinegar. Let stand 5 min. After 5 minutes, mix together well.

I make this oatmeal breakfast mix and give it at Christmas.It is good for 2 months in a tightly sealed container. Use any dried fruit you want in place of or with the raisins. I especially like chopped dried apples in mine.
Raisin and Spice Oatmeal Mix
2 cups quick oats
1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
1/2 cup raisins
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt (optional)

Mix and store up to 2 months in a tightly covered container
Put 3/4 of a cup of water and 1/2 cup mix in a microwavable bowl.
Zap for 2 minutes at 70% power.

Seasoned Rice Mix
3 cups long grain rice
2 tablespoons instant chicken boullion granules
1/4 cup dried parsley
2 tsp onion powder

1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp dried thyme
Combine everything and store in a tighly covered jar.
To Serve:
2 cups water
1 tablspoon butter or oil
1 cup mix
Cook whichever way you normally cook rice.
I do it in the microwave 5 minutes on high then 15 minutes on 50 % power
Comes out perfect everytime and is good as a side dish with chicken or pork.
I also make it up then add either cooked chicken or pork, combine this with a can of cream soup of your choice and then bake it as a casserole

Ok.. I am game for this thread.. Lets see.. How about a homemade pancake mix? The best you will ever taste (IMHO)!!!

Flour Mixture:

1 cup flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp sugar

Mix well

Wet ingrediants: ( for every 2 cups of flour mix used )

4 tbsp melted butter
2 eggs seperated
2 cups buttermilk

1. Mix egg whites in buttermilk
2. Mix egg yolks with melted butter
3. Thoroughly mix both mixtures together.
4. Pour batter on top of flour mixture
5. Whisk everything together for 1-15 seconds.. NO LONGER..

Laddle onto a lightly greased griddle @ 350 degrees. Dont flip until all of the bubbles have "popped".

Hey Ya'll,
I love the recipes and have bookmarked this site.
I used to own a cook book called make a mix cookery....it was great, but at some point I must have donated it to Goodwill. Does anyone have a bisquick type mix recipe?

Back
Top Bottom