What are your five favorite breeds and why

Pics
1. Orpington because they're friendly, taste good, and the rooster are docile.I
2. Naked necks because they tend to be friendly too, eat less feed for their size, and can take heat well.
3. Ideal 236 or leghorns because they're excellent at freeranging and great egg layers.
4. Old English game fowl because they're great broodys, foraging skills were great, weather hardy and just all around great birds.

1. Faverolles, they're slow and poofy and slightly special. They never fail to make me laugh.
  2. Dominiques, smart sooo smart! And fiesty even though they're small. You can't make a dom do anything they don't want to do.
  3. Brahmas, teddy bears in chicken's clothing. They'll climb in your lap and let you have the best chicken petting session of your life.
  4. Speckled Sussex, every color there ever was in one chicken perfect for the indecisive. They will "talk" to you for hours.
  5. Japanese Bantams, little buttholes every day, all day. Always look like they're plotting on you, usually they are.

:lau:lau:lau

1. Welsummers - In first place because they have the whole package - Beautiful, unusual eggs, sweet, gentle personalities without being pushovers and/or stupid, you can sex most at hatching, they have a great ability to free range, beautiful, lustrous feathers, and mix well with other birds. Plus I like the little bit of "uncommon" they still carry, although I do believe they're growing steadily in popularity. This is *probably* the breed I will end up breeding/raising if I can find quality stock this coming year.
2. Penedesenca - I have had two roosters for about nine months, and just recently got my first 10 month old pullet. Dark, dark eggs, and the hen has been laying almost daily. They get along well with other chickens. The Crele variety is the most beautiful chicken I've encountered. They're awesome free rangers. They enjoy coming over for treats, and one of my roosters adores following me around the yard. Very uncommon bird, wit the most AMAZING carnation combs. If these guys were accepted by the APA and I could show them, they'd be in my number one spot.
3. Naked Necks. Quirky, unusual, perfect size. Reliable layers, and if you get the "right one" the friendliest chickens I've ever had. I've had a few nutjobs though, so I do think it depends.
4. Standard Cochins. The huge, friendly fluffiness.
5. Buckeye. I haven't owned any yet, but I am definitely getting some Buckeyes this Spring, and they seem amazing!
Yikes, naked necks. :oops: Snake chickens. :lol:

First off, I must say I have had every kind of chicken you can imagine, and then I have wanted and gotten all the most rare chickens, I have also chosen for egg color alone. I have liked alot of types of chickens and roosters, but at diff times. So I will list my 5 most favorite currently...
1. My avatar Greyslyn and her daughter Greyzelda, both light blue frizzes that lay gray eggs. Don't ask for eggs though, I don't have enough. (not big producers but fun to look at.) Their egg is at 3:00
View attachment 1592370
2. I didn't think I would say this because at one point I would have thought they were boring, but because I have had so many diff types of bird, I like them for their egg laying and personality and that would be a barred rock.
3. I like my Lavender orpington hens, but I wish their feathers had more of a sheen to them and they laid bigger eggs, but they are young yet. ( I used to just choose blue chickens maybe I am just getting bored.)
4. I am enjoying my solid blue wyandottes. They don't bore me because they come in a dark blue and a light blue. And are friendly. They are fluffy.
5. If I had to pic a last group, I would say my Blue isbars, they lay a big blue egg, even though they are older.
Blue and black Wyandotte are on my future wish list. :)

1. Orpington because they're friendly, taste good, and the rooster are docile.I
2. Naked necks because they tend to be friendly too, eat less feed for their size, and can take heat well.
3. Ideal 236 or leghorns because they're excellent at freeranging and great egg layers.
4. Old English game fowl because they're great broodys, foraging skills were great, weather hardy and just all around great birds.
Don't eat the buff Orpingtons. :barnie,,,,,,,,,,:)

Back
Top Bottom