What's your favorite/friendliest breed

Pics
After 2 yrs of chickens and I'm on my 2nd flock since I've lost 4, now have 11...I would say I'm loving the Barred rock. Iris, she is 18 wks. today, not laying yet but soon since she is squatting for me. I've had 3 Easter eggers (pretty blue eggs one MEAN rooster RIP though), 2 Blue Stars, 2 Buff Orps (one was a sorta sweet Roo -RIP Mr. Nugget) and now have 4 Black SL (sex links), 3 Golden SL and one oddball Barred Rock. Iris the B.R. the most friendliest, fearless, calm but active one, kind of goofy. Another one is our Miss Honey-Bee our Buff Orp, she IS the head of the previous flock of hens and she is bossy but lets my son hug her, just not great for our Texas heat (I saved her from close to heat stroke last year). The best layers so far were the 2 Blue Stars but I have new sex links and the Goldens have started laying. We'll see!

Iris the B.R.
View attachment 3566748

Miss Honey-Bee
View attachment 3566738
Wow. Those are some beautiful chickens! I agree that the barred rocks are sorta spunky. We have a 16 week old one that chases our dog around. She and Beanie Boo (jersey giant) are fearless.

My favourite breed are mutts, 😊

They can’t be beat for longevity and a multitude of crazy colours and egg colours.

This year I hatched eggs from my Polish Roo crossed on my silkies, my Marans x hens, and my barnyard mutts. Talk about wild and wonderful! I am eggcited to see what colour eggs my mutt cross pullets lay. Mamas are blue and green egg layers, so I am guessing a lighter blue and green as Polish lay white eggs.

They are all inquisitive and running everywhere, they love to sleep in my office in the barn while I work, and follow me around begging for blackberries and Japanese Beetles 💕

Back
Top Bottom