What are your must have's when getting baby chicks

I have some chicks in a cage right now. I haven't brooded chickens indoors in a while. The last thing I brooded indoors were ducklings. I have a hard time calling what chicks make "a mess" any more - haha! Chicks are so CLEAN by comparison!
:gig
I can only imagine! I had raised both when I was a child and have only done chicks as an adult.. They are very clean in comparison!

Now I am wondering if I should do medicated feed or not- I have always done it... but now I wonder if I am medicating for no reason- thoughts?

I learned that chicks inside the house are messy and a lot of work to clean up after, but chicks brooded outside are nearly zero mess (seriously, I don't clean up after them at all) and hardier. Plus they integrate into the flock more easily as they grow up watching other chickens, instead of staring at the tile wall of a bathroom.

My must haves are just the bare basics - waterer, heat source (heating pad for me), chick feed & grit, and... that's about it. I've gotten by without a feeder before, I don't do medicated feed. I do keep Corid on hand if I have chicks. I like Nutri-Drench best so far of the water additives for the first few days but I've also used electrolytes, chick vitamin mixes, etc. without issue.

Back
Top Bottom