What breed and gender are my chickens?

Update! The chickens are 12 weeks old now. I have 3 crowers. El Jefe was the first to crow about 2 weeks ago, Theodore started a week ago, and Franklin (who was Fifi) started yesterday. Henrietta's name is now Henry. Fleicia died from heat. She was in a hot box one day and I found her dead after I got home from work. After that, I moved their temporary coop around to allow more airflow until we got the coop. The coop arrived on Thursday and I had it put together in 4 hours. They've already adjusted to all of their new areas but really love being all over the yard most of all. Anyways, I added pics below that I just took. Enjoy!

The Coop and Run

The Chickens

Beta

El Jefe

Florette

Franklin

Fuzzee

Henry

Theodore

wow there perfect
love.gif

Beta is a pullet
El Jefe is a cockerel (and he is stunning!)
Florette looks like a pullet (though I'm not positive)
Franklin is a cockerel
I am not familiar with Silkies but I'm going to say Fuzzee is a pullet
Henry and Theodore are both cockerels

What are you going to do with all those gorgeous boys?!

I actually can't have more than 2 roosters so I posted them for free to a good home. A man who wanted new roosters so he won't interbreed his chickens got 2 of them today. He has Theodore and Franklin. I'm going to keep El Jefe and Henry. We're going to let the hens brood some chicks for us. I'm excited though I found it pretty difficult to give my other roos away. I adore all of my chickens.

I actually can't have more than 2 roosters so I posted them for free to a good home. A man who wanted new roosters so he won't interbreed his chickens got 2 of them today. He has Theodore and Franklin. I'm going to keep El Jefe and Henry. We're going to let the hens brood some chicks for us. I'm excited though I found it pretty difficult to give my other roos away. I adore all of my chickens.

So glad you found a home for a couple of the boys. I am in a similar situation and have more cockerels than pullets from our last hatch. It's going to be extremely difficult to let go of my lil guys as they have the sweetest personalities. We currently have 10 hens to 1 roo and they are all in need of saddles as he is constantly mounting them. Personally, I would not keep 2 boys if you can only have 10 chickens unless you plan on keeping them seperate allowing limited contact with the hens. Your fear of bald chickens is justified. BTW, that's a beautiful setup you've got there! Well done :)

So glad you found a home for a couple of the boys. I am in a similar situation and have more cockerels than pullets from our last hatch. It's going to be extremely difficult to let go of my lil guys as they have the sweetest personalities. We currently have 10 hens to 1 roo and they are all in need of saddles as he is constantly mounting them. Personally, I would not keep 2 boys if you can only have 10 chickens unless you plan on keeping them seperate allowing limited contact with the hens. Your fear of bald chickens is justified. BTW, that's a beautiful setup you've got there! Well done
smile.png

Only some roosters are like that. A good rooster isn't. You should replace your rooster if he is being that hard on your girls, or separate him for a while.

Back
Top Bottom