What breed are these bantam babies?

They don't have the fluffy cheeks like duccles normally have?
I wonder if I should have posted this in a new post.

It makes more sense to keep updating this thread rather than start another, so that we can keep track of their development....that can help with both breed and gender ID to be able to look back at photos of them when they were younger. Is it possible that they are mixed breeds? Just thinking if this was a small independent farm shop, they may just have a pen of bantams and sell whatever chicks they raise, rather than a big chain feed store that buys in chicks from a hatchery.

It makes more sense to keep updating this thread rather than start another, so that we can keep track of their development....that can help with both breed and gender ID to be able to look back at photos of them when they were younger. Is it possible that they are mixed breeds? Just thinking if this was a small independent farm shop, they may just have a pen of bantams and sell whatever chicks they raise, rather than a big chain feed store that buys in chicks from a hatchery.

Thank you! I wasn't sure how it worked. I posted here again initially but thought my post may have gotten lost somewhere down the line and people wouldn't see it because it's so old!

Yes it is definitely a small farm shop. Could you take a guess at what breeds could be mixed in? Maybe pekin x d'uccle? Would you say the first one is a cockerel and second one a pullet?

Yes I would say the first is a cockerel. Pekins are pretty easy to tell quite young and I think there is probably some pekin in there. I'm not familiar with D'uccles. It is usually easier to spot breed traits in mixed birds once they are mature. The other one is looking like a pullet for now.
The photo of your daughter (I assume) holding them is priceless by the way. She obviously adores them!

Yes I would say the first is a cockerel. Pekins are pretty easy to tell quite young and I think there is probably some pekin in there. I'm not familiar with D'uccles. It is usually easier to spot breed traits in mixed birds once they are mature. The other one is looking like a pullet for now.
The photo of your daughter (I assume) holding them is priceless by the way. She obviously adores them!

Yes that's my youngest, Olivia. She just loves all the chickens. Takes the adult ones on the swing and slide with her, plays 'doctor' with them lol. They're all so placid and lovely. or they're probably all so tormented by her that they just give up and let her do whatever lol

That's her favorite chicken, 'lavender'

Ok here we are again 2 weeks later. 7-8 weeks old.
I only took pics of the cockerel but I'm certain they're the same breed (whatever that is!). The brown one has a small orange comb still so I'm assuming pullet.
When the boy stands, his tail usually sticks up a lot higher than in the pics. Any idea of the breed now?

I love the photo of Olivia using her toy stethoscope on Lavender. Wouldn't it be great to have a budding vet in the family!

There is no doubt that white one is a cockerel. Certainly not a full pekin (bantam cochin) as he is the wrong shape but could be a mix. He looks like he does have some fluffy cheeks but as I said previously I have no knowledge of d'Uccles. Hopefully someone else will recognise familiar traits. Have you been back to the farm shop to ask what breeds of bantams they have? It might help narrow things down a bit and if it is a small independent place they will probably be more knowledgeable than a large chain outlet.

It would be nice to see some photos of the brown one as it develops too, as darker feathers are easier to identify breed traits than white which is hard to make out detail on photos.

Thank you!
The farm shop said the breeder had frizzle, Belgian duccle, pekin and bantam araucana (the ones that lay blue-green eggs)
Ok I'll catch the pullet tonight when the sun goes down (they're bloody quick! I let them free range) and take more pics of her
Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom