What breed are these bantam babies?

Ah! Now that makes a lot of sense! Your white male bird is almost certainly an araucana cross. I didn't know you could get bantam araucana. The body shape is right for that and if he didn't have feathered legs and a single comb I would have said full araucana, so probably an araucana/pekin mix. Unfortunately I believe the blue egg laying gene is linked to the pea comb...which he hasn't got...so he probably doesn't carry the blue egg gene.

If you are in the UK you need to curtail that free ranging asap as there is a compulsory lock down to prevent the spread of avian flu. It's causing me mayhem!

Ah! Now that makes a lot of sense! Your white male bird is almost certainly an araucana cross. I didn't know you could get bantam araucana. The body shape is right for that and if he didn't have feathered legs and a single comb I would have said full araucana, so probably an araucana/pekin mix. Unfortunately I believe the blue egg laying gene is linked to the pea comb...which he hasn't got...so he probably doesn't carry the blue egg gene.

If you are in the UK you need to curtail that free ranging asap as there is a compulsory lock down to prevent the spread of avian flu. It's causing me mayhem!   

I agree with this especially the second piece of information
I heard yesturday that the bird flu is in uk.
I am hoping it doesn't spread to Ireland.
It's very easy for it to spread though.
All it takes is for someone to import birds from uk and
If they don't quarantine it could spread.
I hope all of your hens are ok across the pond!
Goodluck
Fionn.

As far as I am aware, there have been no confirmed cases in the UK yet. Let's hope I'm up to date correct with that and it stays that way! It's going to be a very long 30 days! Fingers crossed they don't need to extend it when we get to the end.
Do you have a lock down in Ireland yet?

Ok that's good hopefully it stays that way.
There is no lockdown here yet, but
It is still advised to quarantine birds brought from uk
To be quarantined for 30 days but no lockdown here.
I hope the bird flu goes somewhere else lol

I believe it is migrating wild birds that are the real risk which is why we are trying to keep our birds indoors or at least reduce the opportunity of contact with wild birds. Pigeon fanciers have been advised not to let their birds out for exercise as well. That will really hit the racing pigeon community! They will lose a lot of fitness over a 30 day period I would imagine.

I'm in Australia so no bird flu issues here (yet!)
Here's my girl now at around 10ish weeks.
One of the other hens pecked some feathers from her head :( so that's why there's some missing!

Last edited:
Yes definitely a cockerel too and I would say it's probably a d'Uccle/pekin cross. Good to hear that you are far enough away to be safe from bird flu. Lucky you!....Although maybe not so lucky regarding both of these bantam's being males.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom