What breed is my cockerel?

uisceros

Chirping
Jun 2, 2022
Massachusetts, USA
Hi all!

I recently ordered a started cockerel from My Pet Chicken after losing two male day-old chicks in a row. They don't let you choose breeds, but I requested a bantam. However when he came yesterday I was immediately sure that he was a standard size. Slight bummer, but not the end of the world.

I can't seem identify his breed though! Right now I'm leaning towards Barnevelder, but it's really hard to tell. I have zero experience with standard roosters, so I’m clueless. Any ideas? He’s about 6-9 weeks old.

Attachments

• 5BAD0BA7-88B4-43FA-93B7-27345492CADE.jpeg
    5BAD0BA7-88B4-43FA-93B7-27345492CADE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 69
  • 4D4E29CB-7453-45B3-9794-58B9D6F19AD4.jpeg
    4D4E29CB-7453-45B3-9794-58B9D6F19AD4.jpeg
    991.7 KB · Views: 27
Updated pics! I’m thinking Welsummer, honestly. I was told he might be a golden laced Wyandotte, but I see no lacing on him.

He is currently about four months old.

Attachments

• IMG_9723.jpeg
    IMG_9723.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9724.jpeg
    IMG_9724.jpeg
    453.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_9724.jpeg
    IMG_9724.jpeg
    514.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_9726.jpeg
    IMG_9726.jpeg
    510 KB · Views: 17
I agree with you. He looks very typical for a Welsumer cockerel. Nice, big healthy guy, too.
I figure that or a clean-legged Marans. Either way! It’s not that important, just interesting.

He’s a character. Very skittish, but not aggressive at all. The picture of him with his tail down was when I separated him from his girls for a few minutes to get a picture. He’s so sensitive 😂😂

I figure that or a clean-legged Marans. Either way! It’s not that important, just interesting.

He’s a character. Very skittish, but not aggressive at all. The picture of him with his tail down was when I separated him from his girls for a few minutes to get a picture. He’s so sensitive 😂😂
Some guys are like that lol. He's got yellow legs, so not a Marans. Partridge Plymouth rock is the only other thing that fits, but they are usually a little darker, and less common nowadays.

Some guys are like that lol. He's got yellow legs, so not a Marans. Partridge Plymouth rock is the only other thing that fits, but they are usually a little darker, and less common nowadays.
Good to know! Thor is my first standard rooster (I have Serama roosters, which are kind of hard to mistake for any other breed 😂) so I honestly didn’t even think of leg color! Either way I love him and his eccentricities.

Ii hadn’t even heard of a Partridge Plymouth Rock until this thread. They’re gorgeous! But considering the rarity I’ll assume Welsummer as well. Thanks!

Looks like a Welsummer to me. I would have also guessed that from his chick pictures, but there are a lot of breeds that look similar to him.
Yeah, I was so lost with him as a baby. I have a Welsummer girl that he looked nothing like, but I guess that’s just a rooster thing. My only other experience with Roos are Seramas, and it’s kinda hard to mistake a Serama for most any other bird, so Thor was my first foray into trying to figure out breed.

Back
Top Bottom