What breed laid the first egg for you?

chickenlickin8

Songster
11 Years
Jun 26, 2008
Valrico, Florida
My Coop
My Coop
I was wondering which of your chicken breeds laid first and how old they were? For me, it was my RIR "Rose" at 23 weeks. Then my Buff Orpington "Daisy" at 25 weeks. Then my Ameraucana "Jasmine" at 26 weeks. The rest haven't started yet.

I have two Barred Rock and two Australorps. One of the BR was first to lay around 22 weeks. She has also been the most consistent layer. Both of the BA started 23-24 weeks and I can't complain about their consistency. The other BR didn't start until around 26 weeks or so, and has been my least consistent! She's also my flightiest, and I think she's easily stressed. I picked her up the other day (Oh, the horror!), and she hasn't laid in three days! 

I love Barred Rocks. Always good layers. I have some that don't like to be handled either. They are drama queens...ha ha!

My first layer was my Silver Laced Wyandotte, Silver. She was 19 weeks old. Columbie, my Columbian Wyandotte, followed three days later. My Easter Egger took 20 weeks to begin and my Production Red began laying at 22 weeks.

Last edited:
For me, the first ones to lay were the Dominiques at 20 weeks, then the Welsummers at 22 weeks, then the Jersey Giants at about 23 weeks, then one of the Buff Orpingtons at 23 weeks, then one of the Silver Grey Dorkings at 25 weeks along with the other Buff Orpington. At 28 weeks the other Silver grey Dorking started laying and the 2 of Black Langshans finally started laying. The Colored Langshan lagged behind everyone and didn't start laying until 32 weeks.

My first layer was my Barred Rock at 2 days shy of 20 weeks,then my Australorp at about 22 weeks. Then my buffs - one at about 23 weeks and the other at 26 weeks. The Barred has been a fantastic layer. I think she's missed 8 or 9 days since she started laying, which would be 14 weeks now, and my only pullet to lay multiple double yolkers..

Our first was our White Leghorn. I think she was almost 20 weeks. Second was our Brown Leghorn ( I forgot how old), then one of our silkies at 5 1/2 months. Our Easter Egger started Thursday at 25 1/2 weeks.

Last edited:
My first layer was my Barred Rock at 2 days shy of 20 weeks,then my Australorp at about 22 weeks.  Then my buffs - one at about 23 weeks and the other at 26 weeks.  The Barred has been a fantastic layer.  I think she's missed 8 or 9 days since she started laying, which would be 14 weeks now, and my only pullet to lay multiple double yolkers..

I love Barred Rocks and the double yolkers. I don't have one in my current flock and I miss them. My Australorp hasn't started laying yet and she 26 weeks now.

Back
Top Bottom