What breed (or mixes) could he/she be?

mommab85

Chirping
Jun 5, 2023
I had a broody hen hatch a single chick. I got the egg from a girl selling eggs who didn’t know much about what breeds she actually had. I’m thinking it looks SLW-ish but I’m still pretty new to all of this. What does everyone think? I’m sure it could be a barnyard mix too. TIA

Attachments

• IMG_5165.jpeg
    IMG_5165.jpeg
    204.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_5166.jpeg
    IMG_5166.jpeg
    513 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5164.jpeg
    IMG_5164.jpeg
    521.5 KB · Views: 22
I had a broody hen hatch a single chick. I got the egg from a girl selling eggs who didn’t know much about what breeds she actually had. I’m thinking it looks SLW-ish but I’m still pretty new to all of this. What does everyone think? I’m sure it could be a barnyard mix too. TIA

It does have a rose comb (correct for a Wyandotte, or for a Wyandotte-mix, or for some other breeds.)

Looking at the color, I see why it reminds you of a Silver Laced Wyandotte. It might be one, or it might be a mix that will look different when it grows up (some chicks have big changes in the patterns of their feathers as they grow.)

I think barnyard mix is most likely, just because I assume the person has several breeds. If she had only one breed, I think she would be more likely to know what it is called.

Please post pics later as it grows, because I am curious to see :)

It does have a rose comb (correct for a Wyandotte, or for a Wyandotte-mix, or for some other breeds.)

Looking at the color, I see why it reminds you of a Silver Laced Wyandotte. It might be one, or it might be a mix that will look different when it grows up (some chicks have big changes in the patterns of their feathers as they grow.)

I think barnyard mix is most likely, just because I assume the person has several breeds. If she had only one breed, I think she would be more likely to know what it is called.

Please post pics later as it grows, because I am curious to see :)
You are right about that. I’ve had some change so much that you’d never guess it’s the same chicken! I wish I knew the breeds she had so I could better judge. I’m sure you’re right, it’s most likely a barnyard mix. I gave her a light Brahma rooster several months back but she already had 2 or 3 other roosters and quite a variety of hens at the time so it’s hard to say. I will definitely post pictures as it grows!

I gave her a light Brahma rooster several months back but she already had 2 or 3 other roosters and quite a variety of hens at the time so it’s hard to say. I will definitely post pictures as it grows!

A chick with a Brahma father would probably show some feathers on the legs, so I think it most likely was fathered by one of the other roosters.

Light Brahma is one breed that could produce mixed chicks with the coloring yours has, but there are lots of other breeds that could also do that.

A chick with a Brahma father would probably show some feathers on the legs, so I think it most likely was fathered by one of the other roosters.

Light Brahma is one breed that could produce mixed chicks with the coloring yours has, but there are lots of other breeds that could also do that.
The chick is now 5 weeks old and appears to have some lacing on his/her chest. I’m kind of wondering about a SLW & Columbian Wyandotte cross because of the white feathering and the dark neck feathers coming in. I am very new to this so very unsure of my guess!

Attachments

• IMG_5628.jpeg
    IMG_5628.jpeg
    390 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5629.jpeg
    IMG_5629.jpeg
    785.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5640.jpeg
    IMG_5640.jpeg
    481.9 KB · Views: 11
The chick is now 5 weeks old and appears to have some lacing on his/her chest. I’m kind of wondering about a SLW & Columbian Wyandotte cross because of the white feathering and the dark neck feathers coming in. I am very new to this so very unsure of my guess!
That idea makes sense to me. It definitely accounts for the clean yellow legs, the rose comb, and the color/pattern of the feathers the chick currently has.

There are many other combinations of breeds that could also produce a chick like yours, and the coloring could continue to change as the chick gets older, but I think Silver Laced Wyandotte x Columbian Wyandotte is a very reasonable guess at the present time.

That idea makes sense to me. It definitely accounts for the clean yellow legs, the rose comb, and the color/pattern of the feathers the chick currently has.

There are many other combinations of breeds that could also produce a chick like yours, and the coloring could continue to change as the chick gets older, but I think Silver Laced Wyandotte x Columbian Wyandotte is a very reasonable guess at the present time.
I agree!

Back
Top Bottom