What chicken breed should I get?

What is most important to you & your family? Eggs? Temperament? Where are you located? Will the chickens be free range or penned? That will all make a difference in what breed would be best. We all have preferences on here, based on our climate, space, involvement (do you want to cuddle them or will they be roaming and need predator awareness), and egg needs.
The most important thing is an incredibly friendly temperament and of second importance is egg laying ability. We also wouldn't mind smaller bantam types, as I have younger siblings and I am interested in showing through FFA. We are located in Idaho, which gets a nice range of seasons. Pretty cold in winter, rainy in spring, hot in summer, and windy in autumn. So definitely need a hardy breed that can withstand weather. We don't want to free range (for predator reasons) but I am planning on building a permanent large run for them, and possibly a moveable temporary one.

Dont get ameraucanas as they will be easter eggers as most places sell easter eggers as ameraucanas and two if you found true ameraucanas they take well over 40 weeks to even start laying.

I would recommend Holden laced Wyandottes, they are beautiful, and can be friendly if handled early. Also Austrolorps, they are extremely friendly, and pretty. Both of them lay decently, (especially the austrolorps) and in my experience are pretty adaptable. I hope that helps, deciding on chicken breeds can be challenging, and fun, seeing as there are so many to choose from! Best of luck with your future chooks!

Out of the breeds you listed:
Standards-
Buff Orpington- very friendly, good layers, climate hardy.
Ameraucana-friendly, good layers (but start later than others), can be hard to find real Ameraucanas (not Americanas/EE)
Double laced Barnevelder-have not had but should be climate hardy
Brown leghorn-not as hardy in very cold temps because of large comb, good free-rangers and excellent layers, usually not cuddly

-Bantams-
Sebright-not sure
Cochin-extremely friendly, poor layers, can go broody a lot
Silkie-extremely friendly, broody all the time, may need to keep an eye on them in extremely cold temps
Ameraucana- see above
Silver pencilled rock-friendly and good layers, climate hardy
Mille fleur-not sure
OEG-not sure

Australorp are another good recommendation, friendly and good layers. Salmon Faverolle are also known to be very sweet and friendly!

Good luck! Please let us know what you end up with!

I raise Barnevelders and OEGB. Both are nice backyard flock and FFA choices. Both also place well at the local shows and handle the weather conditions here in East Central Missouri. The judges can be picky about feather pattern on the Barnevelders. With OEGBS the judges seem to show a little more leniency for Duckwings and solid colors. My OEGBS are decent layers. As long as you don’t mind cracking 5 or 6 eggs. To make a three egg omelette.

Back
Top Bottom