what chicken breeds can hawks take?

We have watched red-tailed hawks carry off young chickens. One was really heartbreaking - the little guy was screaming while the hawk was flying away with him. I watched the hawk land on the other side of our yard, kill it, and take off with it again, probably to feed its young. We have no problems with grown chickens being killed by hawks. We now pen the youngsters until we figure they are big enough that the hawks will leave them alone. Of course, right now, there are a lot of hawks in our area. We are in Florida, and we always have extra hawks in the winter. In the next month or so when they are feeding young, we will really have to be careful with our young chickens.

We have also watched hawks hit older young chickens and eat them on the ground. Hubby chased away a hawk that was chasing our old bantam hen across the yard. It must have missed its first strike and it was running behind her. Chrissie, our bantam, was screaming her head off! Hubby was building another coop at the time and had a tape measure in his hand. He threw it toward the hawk, making it fly up into a tree. The hawk sat in that tree and watched for a while and then went away without supper.

The only way to make them safe is to lock them up.

I would guess now that the hawk is out of silkies he'll come back forma bigger chicken. Each hawk is in an individual and as he gains confidence with the small once he may try to up his game. I'm dealing with a determined hawk right now. He killed my bantam rooster on the ground, I got to the hawk before he had taken a decent bite but he did kill him. The hawk comes back every single day, multiple times a day, and he didn't even get a full meal! My chickens are now locked down.

I bought several poultry nets off of ebay to put over my runs this spring after losing two to a hawk this past summer.

A wise move! I had to use welded fencing on top of my runs because we also have a lot of raccoons, bobcats, bears..... but netting works well against hawks. Just make sure to 'sew' up any joints and secure it well.

I have a hawk that sits on the coop. He is here everyday. He is determined.
I have my run completely covered with chicken wire.
On the top I used zip ties to connect and overlap the chicken wire. I haven't lost any.
I also have foxes and other predators. Hope this helps as an idea for anyone.

A wise move! I had to use welded fencing on top of my runs because we also have a lot of raccoons, bobcats, bears..... but netting works well against hawks. Just make sure to 'sew' up any joints and secure it well.

We have a lot of predators here too so I lock mine up every night. The only losses I've had are during the day to hawks. I also have an electric fence around my runs.

I use bird netting over the run. I figure they will get tangled if they try to get in. But I think hawks are too smart to even try. My coop also has a metal roof that reflects light during the day and ive heard reflective objects keep raptors away.

Back
Top Bottom