What chickens are the most broody?

Number One....Silkies!!! Amazing broodies..once every three months..like clockwork...adorable, friendly and incredibly loving....

Just my opinion....

Wait the bantam Cochin can fly ? ( probably a reall dumb question but I'm a duck person )

Yeah I am definetly getting a silkie hen , but the blinding worries me , see I'm getting only a few chickens ( and maybe one rooster ) anyway te chickens are for hatching call ducks eggs ,since call ducklings are some of the hardest ducks to hatch in an incubator , I need the mother to hatch them but the top amount a mother duck needs to sit on is like 5 since the call is so small . Anyway th callducks beak is way to small usually to peck through the shell , so the minding worries me as the silkie might not be able to see what's going on and how to get the baby out manually( manually is probably the wrong word ) like usual call ducks mothers do.
I have a bantam cochin and she is broody a lot...sitting on eggs as we speak
wink.png
She doesn't really fly...more like a short hover...LOL! I call it her "flutter fly" because she just gets about a foot off of the ground and moves forward maybe 5 ft??? And cluckling all they way
gig.gif

Last edited:
My Silkies will hatch duck eggs..no problem..they do not fly but are feisty if a predator comes near.....they will fight to the death with a rat...and win!

Both rats and mice just go crraazzzy over chicken feed. Even if you've never seen a rat in your town before, don't go thinking you don't have any. They're around. Believe me. And if you don't, all's you have to do is add chickens and they will come! They will eat your feed, make craters out of divets, tunnel beneath your coops and chew holes right thru your wire. All this AND they'll steal your eggs and eat your hens' feet right off the roost!!! Yeah, I'd say they're something to watch out for...lol!

We'll mine can fly 4 foot up off the ground with no problem and one is tiny, 5 for roosters, and a few feet is all they really need to be able to fly in my garden...

Back
Top Bottom