• Pink

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Purple

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Of my seven EEs...

Braveheart lays a pink egg
Robin lays a pale yellow egg..
Smokey, Strawberry Shortcake, ObLaDi and ObLaDa lay light powder blue, powder blue, and mint green eggs (don't know who lays which yet).
And Muffin's eggs are a "medium" green.

(The two on the left are Nut's and Ol' Red's)

The first batch (April, last year) Was from a feed store (They got theirs from Mt. Healthy). They were all supposed to be sexed EE pullets, but one decided to turn into a rooster*, one turned out to be (I think) an Black Australorp, Of the three surviving EE hens, only one layed a green egg (Muffins). The others were pink, pale yellow, and the BA's was tan. The second batch (August) I got from www.chickensforbackyards.com. I ordered three EE's and a Cuckoo Marans, both for the dark brown egg and possible Olive Egger in the future. Well they sent me an extra EE, and all four grew up to be blue and green layers. So the lack of green or blue in the first batch balanced out rather serendiptitously, giving me a nice little rainbow: Dark brown, brown, tan, pink, pale yellow, light powder blue, powder blue, mint green and medium green. As for personal characteristics vs. egg color, I have yet to see any pattern. If their was, I think someone would have posted it by now.

*Chaz, alas passed away of an unknown cause a few days ago.

Last edited:
What is with Cackle? They have the BEST EEs of any hatchery but they're like 60% accurate on the sexing! Still...worth it for their color variety.

What is with Cackle? They have the BEST EEs of any hatchery but they're like 60% accurate on the sexing! Still...worth it for their color variety.

I have 3 from Cackle right now. Ordered 7 pullets and 1 cockerel, and four of the pullets went to two different friends. So far sexing has been at 100%, and the color variety they sent was outstanding. They are five weeks old today.

I have an EE chick, I know about color but at what age do they start laying??I am new to chickens, and my EE is so sweet:)
smile.png
Depends. I've never had one that took longer than 25 weeks to start laying. But they do need to be kept on a higher protein feed while they are maturing. If you switch them to layer feed too early, it might take them much longer to start.

Bumping!

My EEs are only 12 weeks so I am living vicariously through this (and other) thread(s)!
The wait is killing me, especially since their egg color is such a mystery!

I have an EE chick, I know about color but at what age do they start laying??I am new to chickens, and my EE is so sweet:):)

My one mature EE took until 8 months old to lay. Then she molted at 11 months old and stopped laying for about 6-8 weeks lol.

I am curious to see how long it takes my new EE girls to start laying. They are 10 weeks old today.

That's one great thing about EEs you'll never know what your going to have until they start laying. I added 4 of them last year and got multiple color eggs, olive, green, bluish mint and light pink.

My kids and friends liked them a lot, this January I picked up 3 more, they'll be ready to lay eggs in few weeks here. Our anticipation is on high peak on what colors of eggs they'll be peddling since they've turned 15 weeks today.

My one mature EE took until 8 months old to lay. Then she molted at 11 months old and stopped laying for about 6-8 weeks lol.

I am curious to see how long it takes my new EE girls to start laying. They are 10 weeks old today.
Keep them on a higher protein feed, and don't put them on layer till they are all laying.

Back
Top Bottom