What Color Is this Peachick?

Niquolette

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 26, 2012
McMinnville, Oregon
Hello there! Hoping you peafowl experts could help me! :)
For several years we only had and bred India Blue peafowl but last year we added a white male to our flock. During this past summer one of our peahens hatched out a white-ish looking peachick. At first we thought that we somehow had hatched a pied, but as it started to feather out, it looked turned more oaten/cameo. From what I've read online, breeding a white peafowl to an India blue peafowl results in India Blue peachicks split to white. So I'm very confused as to where this strange coloring came from? I'm not very good at genetics so could someone explain? :) Thanks in advance!
The peachick is the one in the middle of all it's siblings. My India Blue Male and my White male in the last picture, the moms are the bigger birds on the left. Before we got our white male, my peahens only hatched out blue peachicks.

Hello and
welcome-byc.gif
!!

Have you looked at our Image Database? Useful pictures from our peapeople: http://peafowlimagedatabase.weebly.com/

There can be all kinds of genetic surprises hiding in peas!
For example, that male in your picture is Indian Blue split to Black Shoulder. So if any of the ladies are also split to Black Shoulder, you can get Indian Blue Black Shoulder babies (this is what your baby looks like to me, but I am definitely not an expert...)

Hello and :welcome

Have you looked at our Image Database? Useful pictures from our peapeople: http://peafowlimagedatabase.weebly.com/

There can be all kinds of genetic surprises hiding in peas!
For example, that male in your picture is Indian Blue split to Black Shoulder. So if any of the ladies are also split to Black Shoulder, you can get Indian Blue Black Shoulder babies (this is what your baby looks like to me, but I am definitely not an expert...)

Welcome to BYC!!
I agree with New it does look to be a juvenile black shoulder variation. Peas are like a surprise package, you can always see the outside but you can't see whats inside until you breed the right combo and in a lot of cases this happens by chance.That bird could carry several gene variations but, one thing is for sure with the gorgeous birds you have,you will always produce more gorgeous birds. Please keep us posted.

Gerald Barker

Last edited:
Oh is he? The person I got them from said they were India blues and since the male had the black and white barring on his shoulders I assumed they were correct. Can I ask how you can tell he is split to Black Shoulder? :) Because obviously I had no clue hahaha

So you think that the combination of my white males genes and my split black shoulder hens genes are what caused the peachick's coloring? :)

Last edited:
Oh is he?  The person I got them from said they were India blues and since the male had the black and white barring on his shoulders I assumed they were correct.  Can I ask how you can tell he is split to Black Shoulder? :)  Because obviously I had no clue hahaha

So do you think my white peacock has cameo somewhere in his genes and that's where this peachick got it's coloring?
I was referring to the white'ish hen in the middle sorry. That rooster looks to be india blue with natural barring in the shoulder pattern. Hard to tell in pics sometimes sorry.

Gerald Barker

I was referring to the white'ish hen in the middle sorry. That rooster looks to be india blue with natural barring in the shoulder pattern. Hard to tell in pics sometimes sorry.

Gerald Barker

Oh my apologies, I should have read your posts better!
So if I'm understanding right, you are saying that my white-ish Juvenile in the middle is a female and is a Black Shoulder variation?

Your Indian Blue boy is split to BS:

So IMO the most likely scenario is that one of your peahens is also split to Black Shoulder (not easy to ID), and that the two split to BS parents produced your light-colored baby, who would be a full Indian Blue Black Shoulder, I'd say a hen.
big_smile.png

Others will likely have more ideas to share!

Back
Top Bottom