What Color Is this Peachick?

Even though I have heard the same on one of my IB's with that exact same black patch in its shoulder, I have been told otherwise.

I posted these pics on @zazouse FaceBook page and I was told by at least three people including AugeredIn and Othman, or it may have been Claude, that mine is a very pure IB.

Having said that, and IF that is the case, I think that your IBBS hen is probably carrying a white gene from the White cock as the IBBS hen is very light in color.

Hmm...well as you know I am definitely not a genetics expert!!!

However, we only had boys that had no markings at all on their shoulders (barring only), or boys that looked like this:

And we would up with an IBBS baby, Little Yellow:

So I made the assumption that the boys with the shoulder marking were split to BS...
idunno.gif
Perhaps an incorrect assumption!!

Hmm...well as you know I am definitely not a genetics expert!!!

However, we only had boys that had no markings at all on their shoulders (barring only), or boys that looked like this:

And we would up with an IBBS baby, Little Yellow:

So I made the assumption that the boys with the shoulder marking were split to BS...
idunno.gif
Perhaps an incorrect assumption!!

Just because that is what I was told doesn't mean that they are right.
idunno.gif
The split to Black Shoulder makes sense to me, I kind of wanted to believe that. However, a bird does not have to have any outward phenetic signs to be carrying a gene of either pattern or color.

Thanks @KsKingBee !

To be honest, I like this split to BS explanation because it is so straightforward for someone like me who really doesn't know anything about pea genetics.
It is perfectly possible that the explanation for our IBBS girl was much more convoluted and confusing, involving hidden genetics...
I don't envy you all of your super-confusing genetics, although your resulting birds are so gorgeously varied and wonderful!

Hello there! Hoping you peafowl experts could help me! :)
For several years we only had and bred India Blue peafowl but last year we added a white male to our flock. During this past summer one of our peahens hatched out a white-ish looking peachick. At first we thought that we somehow had hatched a pied, but as it started to feather out, it looked turned more oaten/cameo. From what I've read online, breeding a white peafowl to an India blue peafowl results in India Blue peachicks split to white. So I'm very confused as to where this strange coloring came from? I'm not very good at genetics so could someone explain? :) Thanks in advance!
The peachick is the one in the middle of all it's siblings. My India Blue Male and my White male in the last picture, the moms are the bigger birds on the left. Before we got our white male, my peahens only hatched out blue peachicks.

Looks like a Black Shoulder peahen. That means one of the hens is carrying the BS gene as well. With hens I don't think you can tell. I've always believed that solid black coverts with barring coverts is a sign of split to Black Shoulder. If there are solid black where there should be barring sometimes that's Spalding.

Back
Top Bottom