What color will my Cochins be?

acid_chipmunk

Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!
9 Years
Mar 29, 2010
I got four Cochins yesterday, but have no clue what color they will be. I also have no idea if they are boys or girls, but I know we can't tell yet.

Here they are!

Three of them look like this:

52537_s7302605.jpg

And one looks like this:

52537_s7302610.jpg

I hope these help, if not, I will post some different ones.

Thanks in advance!
jumpy.gif

If it helps, the first one and the other two are silver on the sides and have a black stripe down the middle of their backs. I am not sure if they will be gray or if there is such a thing as a laced cochin?

Something I find is handy in this kind of situation is to go to some hatchery sites & look @ the pics they show to compare to my mystery chicks. The first two aren't as good as the last one, but I know Ideal supplies a lot of feed stores, etc. so thought it may help @ another time. Going by these, looks like silver-laced or silver penciled! Either will be soooo pretty!!! I sure wish I had the penciled esp......

Ideal hatchery pics:

https://secuservices.com/ideal/newideal/selectproduct.aspx?qty=1&ID=SLCB&Product=60

https://secuservices.com/ideal/newideal/selectproduct.aspx?qty=1&ID=SPCB&Product=61

Cackle Hatchery pics:

http://www.cacklehatchery.com/cochinbantam.html

Thank you!!!
wee.gif
Looks like they might be Silver Laced, though the Silver Penciled would be awesome!

Yay! I'm so glad that helped. Another thing I like to do is to order the free catalogs that are sent by mail from different hatcheries. They offer lots of free pics, facts, etc. that can take FOREVER to round up online, plus you can flip pages back & forth to compare breeds etc. I have 3 or 4 different ones, & I take them with me when I buy chicks so I can be more sure of what I'm looking at/buying, since they aren't always labeled right, & the clerks don't always know either. And it makes those "Bantam Assortments" MUCH easier to figure out too! I went & plucked the Silkies & frizzles right on up outta there this year!
celebrate.gif
I also look @ them all year round dreaming & planning for the next spring. So go order yourself some online & enjoy!

The only problem I have with buying my birds is figuring out their color. My local feed store are very, very good with their babies they get in and keep them very clearly marked as to what they are and how many are left to buy. I try to order my fuzzy butts, but the Silkies and Frizzles sucked me in the day I went and looked at them and ended up with 2 Silkies and a Frizzle. Now they are my favorite!

Yeah, the sellers around here are a bit confuse about WHAT they're selling. LOL they get many of the details confused, & like you said, the color variations on different breeds can be tricky (he told me the Partridge Silkie I got was "going to lay green eggs") I can pretty much tell the cochins, etc., but "man, what did the blue chicks look like vs. black chicks?", etc. gets me sometimes w/ my SHORT-TERM MEMORY dysfunction
barnie.gif
, so the catalogs are handy sometimes for me @ least. I LOVE. LOVE, LOVE our Frizzles too! They're soooo my faves! They just let you grab them right up & even come looking for lovin' on their own. The Silkies aren't as snuggly as they are, at least in our case but they ARE very cute & hopefully will get more compliant over time...Glad you got those cuties & post some pics when that silver mystery chick starts feathering please!
droolin.gif

Back
Top Bottom