What color will this runner duckling grow up to be? Is that a crest?

Do you have any better pictures of your duckling?

It is not a fawn and white.
It isn't grey either (what you are calling "mallard" is technically called "grey")

It sort of looks like either a "trout" or a blue trout to me.

I can tell better with a full body picture.

Will this do?

IMG_20190221_095447.jpg

The 'grey' one is the rightmost one here.
The top one has pale yellow stomach and body, but dark grey on wings, tail, and mallard-like head.
The middle one looks mallard to me.

IMG_20190221_100615.jpg

Top-down photo.

The one in the middle is definitely a gray ("mallard"). The one on the right (in the top photo) is probably a blue fawn, but could be a blue trout (I'd have to see it grown up, or see it's parents). The one on the top, (bottom left in the second picture) I still cannot tell. It looks like maybe some version of blue fawn, with some other genes mixed in. The 2 lighter colored ones I can't tell either. Side view and head-shots would be helpful.

Hello,

The 'light grey' duckling has now developed this much feathers.
IMG_20190329_145204.jpg

For a reminder, her original backside color still remains on her back, what I call light grey. That color has been getting lighter with age, but seems it soon will probably be replaced with 'brown'.

Now she has developed mainly 'brown' (buff? I'm not good with colors) feathers with some light grey. Looking at photo of blue fawn, http://www.showcasestable.com/maggie1.jpg , her secondary color doesn't look that much like it.
Blue trout ( https://i.pinimg.com/originals/88/99/ae/8899ae4f473127db99f99a15a3d1c120.jpg ) doesn't seem to be her color either. It seems lighter than hers.

What do you think?

I have determined that I have 4 females, and am deciding which 2 to keep, so I really would like to know how everyone's colors will turn out. I'm already keeping another girl with a trout color (the leftmost one on the back). This girl, if she turns out to be as 'brown' on other parts as her wings and belly, I may not keep her. If she'll be a little lighter on other parts, I might. But I want to be able to decide before the feathers develop to that point.

They sure are gorgeous!! Do y’all mainly use them as egg layers In your country?

From what I know, no, since I find they're not common at all, at least in the central plains or the northern highlands. All runner sources I could find hails from the south of the country, so maybe they're only layers there, but I don't know at all. There's no such active duck forum like here so I'm oblivious to the rest of the country.

Back
Top Bottom