What common meatie ailments do you see?

MamaHen11

Chirping
Sep 1, 2017
Hello all!

I'm about to start harvesting my first batch of meaties (Rainbow Rangers, then Grey Rangers later). I know some of them breathe heavily, but it seems like it is from the weight they lug around, rather than an infection or defect. They do sneeze right when I first put food down, but I use Hiland Naturals and it is quite dusty. Some time/distance from the feeder puts them right again (sneezing not limited to the meaties, my layers sneeze at the food too).

What common things do you run across when you butcher? What things do you see that you still keep the meat from the bird?

I had one with water belly a few weeks ago, but only did an autopsy and didn't use the meat. I culled it a few days after a dog attack, which could have hurt its internal organs and caused the water belly. Can you eat the muscle meat from a chicken with water belly? What about respiratory infections (in the event that their heavy breathy is not just a symptom of their huge bodies)?

What are you especially mindful of when you examine the carcass?

I'm only doing 3 the first time so I can give it a lot of time and care.

Finally, Meyer said a harvest time of 9-11 weeks. My first are hitting 5lbs this week at 7 weeks. Would you wait until the 9 weeks? They're putting on about 1lb ever 8-10 days at this point on a 18% feed and then veggies. They're 'free range' in my suburban backyard. I know that excess weight contributes to health issues, so I don't want to leave them if in your wizened opinion it is better to keep them at 5-6lbs live weight even if they get there early.

Thanks for the advice!

Hi..
Meaties are the best birds!

The water in the belly is called ascites. It is the result of circulation problems in the heart and to the kidneys as I understand it . The meat is still good. It happens when the birds are fed too much feed and gain weight too fast. Most people want that. I prefer slow growing my birds, pasturing and free ranging them and processing around 15-20 weeks. Or whatever size you want them to be, putting the weight on slower.

Leg problems and mobility become a problem also with fast weight gain. They really do not live long enough for many other problems.

We have whole threads on how to slow grow birds for a better tasting meatier healthier bird. I find the birds taste more like chickens and have better texture if slow grown too.

Any questions ask away and I or someone will answer them..If we can.

Back
Top Bottom