What did you do in the garden today?

Had not ONE squash in the patch this year. People in the area did OK with regular pumpkins, but everyone had squash problems. I did pick up a nice cushaw at the market for cheap. People here use them as decorations. LOL. I count the days until they show up here for Halloween and get that puppy in the oven !
I had the same luck on squash this year . Oh the butternut squash make great pies FYI . In the Moschata group with the Dickinson pumpkin . The pumpkin that the canning factories process around here .

View attachment 1935290

Here are the ten butternut squash that came from the garden from 5 plants. Although, I do know one plant produced 3 squash and another only 1. They should make good soup!
Those are some great-looking butternuts, Acre4Me - just as good as what you see in the grocery stores!
I've already ordered several seeds for next year's garden. Lots of different pumpkins & squashes, some herbs, melons, and the usual veggies. Plus, I'm trying some new varieties as well. The kinds I'm most excited to try include: French Savor Melon (a Charentais variety), Patisson Golden Marbre Scallop Squash, Purple Russian Tomato, and Patio Baby Eggplant. Can't wait for spring!!!

Those are some great-looking butternuts, Acre4Me - just as good as what you see in the grocery stores!
I've already ordered several seeds for next year's garden. Lots of different pumpkins & squashes, some herbs, melons, and the usual veggies. Plus, I'm trying some new varieties as well. The kinds I'm most excited to try include: French Savor Melon (a Charentais variety), Patisson Golden Marbre Scallop Squash, Purple Russian Tomato, and Patio Baby Eggplant. Can't wait for spring!!!
Thanks!

might need to see what seeds are on sale in prep for next year!
We grew a Chanterais type melon. Strong aroma. Nice flavor, very smooth flesh. We grew another we liked better, but the chantarais was second fav. The third orange melon we grew was a distant 3rd...

Good morning all. I didn't make it to the garden yesterday. I spent the morning figuring out the channels I actually get. Comcast doesn't give you a listing for your "package" in your area. So I made my own list. I get 40 channels (not all in English) and a whole bunch of music. Which I thought was kind of dumb, however, radio reception here is not always great. So not so dumb after all. As I mentioned before because of the local landscape, OTA channels are difficult to get. I have several good OTA antennas and the most channels I could get were 3 channels in Spanish and 2 other channels, one was Court TV and the other was something similar to MTV. No networks or PBS. But it is what it is. I have the type of programming that makes me happy. I have 6 PBS stations, the major networks and some other channels I may never use. I especially love CREATE TV. The shows they air require brain activity and they have quite a few shows that feature gardening topics as well. Back to the garden: I need to come up with a crop rotation plan for this year, then determine what I want to grow. I have 2 large containers for planting, just not sure where to place them. I'm definitely putting in another herb garden bed, but I need to research what works best for my climate. The frost came in a little early @Sueby. I can still see frost on my neighbor's roof. I'm sure there will be more to greet you on your weekend adventures in the "wilds" of Southern New Hampshire. Do you have enough squash recipes @Acre4Me? That was me last year. I still have 2 cups of squash in the freezer from last year to compensate for my sad little harvest this year. Have a great day everyone.

Good morning all. I didn't make it to the garden yesterday. I spent the morning figuring out the channels I actually get. Comcast doesn't give you a listing for your "package" in your area. So I made my own list. I get 40 channels (not all in English) and a whole bunch of music. Which I thought was kind of dumb, however, radio reception here is not always great. So not so dumb after all. As I mentioned before because of the local landscape, OTA channels are difficult to get. I have several good OTA antennas and the most channels I could get were 3 channels in Spanish and 2 other channels, one was Court TV and the other was something similar to MTV. No networks or PBS. But it is what it is. I have the type of programming that makes me happy. I have 6 PBS stations, the major networks and some other channels I may never use. I especially love CREATE TV. The shows they air require brain activity and they have quite a few shows that feature gardening topics as well. Back to the garden: I need to come up with a crop rotation plan for this year, then determine what I want to grow. I have 2 large containers for planting, just not sure where to place them. I'm definitely putting in another herb garden bed, but I need to research what works best for my climate. The frost came in a little early @Sueby. I can still see frost on my neighbor's roof. I'm sure there will be more to greet you on your weekend adventures in the "wilds" of Southern New Hampshire. Do you have enough squash recipes @Acre4Me? That was me last year. I still have 2 cups of squash in the freezer from last year to compensate for my sad little harvest this year. Have a great day everyone.

It will all become butternut squash soup. It is not flavored like some recipes... just squash, shallots, broth, a little cream after purée. Goes into small containers that are perfect for 2 servings or 3 small servings. Yum!! I usually keep it all for myself and eat a serving with half sandwich for lunch. Sometimes I share, but the young resident teen still rolls her eyes when I tell her she’s special because I’m sharing my soup with her... spouse prefers soup with bits in it to chew, so while spouse like this soup, it isn’t a favorite. But, I’ll enjoy every last bowl!

glad your happy with comcast we hate them morning gardeners no worry there do not service our tiny hamlet but just as well we have rain coming down pull out the boots sorry for the whining the peeps are fine happy in the office 125 heat lamp so low wattage a small heating pad no auto shutoff on this great unit sitting with coffee dry and warm coffee tweety.gif

This will be my first time leaving the chickens so I've over compensated. Lol. They have both food & water inside & out. You know, in case the auto door thats never malfunctioned, malfunctions. They have enough food for a month, we'll be gone for 2 nights. :lau

I have 3 tomato vines left in the garden, the last fruit is starting to turn pink! Yay!

Boy, it feels like a storm is a brewin! It's gonna knock all the beautiful foliage off the trees. :he

Back
Top Bottom