What did you do in the garden today?

That's for sure! Do you have a generator? With all the aging infrastructure it's something we're considering and we live in the suburbs.
I have a portable gasoline generator and a transfer switch on the house. I bought this generator after Hurricane Sandy and haven’t needed it yet. I feel like it’s insurance. But I’m ready to hunker down if need be.

I have a portable gasoline generator and a transfer switch on the house. I bought this generator after Hurricane Sandy and haven’t needed it yet. I feel like it’s insurance. But I’m ready to hunker down if need be.

You are well prepared then! Smart lady :)

Good morning all. A little frosty this morning. It was 31F when I rolled out of bed. It has warmed up to a toasty 43F for now. Leaf peeping was okay yesterday. However it was so windy at the top of the mountain we went to there was no way I climbing another 50 feet up the observation tower. We were able to get a glimpse of Boston from the mountain top. Boston is around 60 miles away from the mountain. I have a question for all of you gardeners: has anyone started heather from seed? I was searching online for plants and came across a couple of vendors who were selling the seeds. I need the hardy variety that thrives in cold temperatures. I may order the seeds and see what happens, however it would be nice if some of you have experience with growing this. A quick note on the cut lavender blooms I brought into the house, I had to move the vase out of my living room yesterday evening because the "fragrance" was a little overwhelming. I'll be dividing those cuttings and spreading them out around the house. Have a great day everyone.

Nice weather yesterday and today!

grass seed: had to re-seed the south side of the dirt berm. Although it was watered 2-3x a day, it was very thinly growing grass bc it must have gotten too dried out at some point. So, I seeded with 2 types of grass seed, and hand covered with a nice layer of loose dirt. Trying to keep it moist. It’s mid October, I’m sure that some people that drive by wonder why the sprinklers are on!

the seed I scattered for some sprouts in the new dirt bed have not sprouted. Some were bean and pea seeds which are notorious for popping back up above the soil as they swell with water. So, will see if any sprout-just looking for a bit of greens that can be turned under to rot.

washed rocks for a possible winter project for the kid. Wash and dry (in oven to remove any internal moisture) the rocks, then put group label on bottom for future fb post (using modpodge), paint a pic/design/quote, seal with spray sealer, then “hide” somewhere for someone else to find. Group label on back tells the fb page to post at and to re-hide for someone else. I’m sure there are Facebook pages for this in other places too. It’s fun to see if any rocks you painted get posted. We did this 2 years ago and a few got posted. Some people are really into it and are very creative with what they paint. Our inspiration for doing this again was all the rocks we picked out of the fill dirt that was delivered. Quite a variety of rocks!

Tasks for today: clean out coop! Check for lice or mites on chickens and spray with permethrin if needed. Spot checks a few days ago did not find any pests, but will check more thoroughly today. Empty hanging baskets and similar.

Good morning gardeners. Frost again but warming quickly. Last night I made vegetable soup. I'm glad I opted for canning chopped tomatoes. With all the slicing and chopping that goes with soup making, it was nice to open the jar and toss it in the pot. Thank you for the link @WthrLady. The type of heather that I really like is actually not a true heather but a heath (Erica carnea). It's perfect for my climate and the one I ordered blooms in winter to early Spring. I ordered 5 plants. I'll be planting these on the slope that I hate to mow. They are also deer resistant. I will likely add some phlox or sedum to the slope as well. Bye, bye grass. Laundry today and making whole wheat sourdough bread. I have 2 hydrangea bushes that have not bloomed since I moved in. I need to get rid of them. I need to do a little research and find out the best time to move them. I may try to re-home them. Any suggestions are welcome. Have a great day everyone.

Back
Top Bottom