What did you do in the garden today?

Do they actually wait in line? Is it by rank? I know one of our lower ranked girls had to wait for the top pullet to get done before she laid her egg in the same nest.
Now this place https://www.arbico-organics.com/pro...-insidiosus-predator/pest-solver-guide-aphids sells minute pirate bugs as a pest killer. Are they a pest too?
only during harvest when they come off the plants, which they hunt on and drink the fluid from.
THey land on people thinking they're plants and try to take a drink. Pokey painful noses.

Today, I weeded- got a lot of asian jasmine I am trying to get rid of- whoo whee- since spring. Am making headway though. Uprooted my watermelon plant- not really doing anything anymore. Pulled up the lone tomato plant in the chicken yard- chicken planted and fertilized, weed eated around the edge of the yard and around the roses and fig trees. Got a bucket of chicken poop to put in the garden ( collected last time I cleaned the coop). I will continue to do this until January, turning it occasionally. By spring, it should be really good dirt. Then went in and cleaned the kitchen and mopped. Am tired today.

Today, I weeded- got a lot of asian jasmine I am trying to get rid of- whoo whee- since spring. Am making headway though. Uprooted my watermelon plant- not really doing anything anymore. Pulled up the lone tomato plant in the chicken yard- chicken planted and fertilized, weed eated around the edge of the yard and around the roses and fig trees. Got a bucket of chicken poop to put in the garden ( collected last time I cleaned the coop). I will continue to do this until January, turning it occasionally. By spring, it should be really good dirt. Then went in and cleaned the kitchen and mopped. Am tired today.
I'm tired just reading about what you accomplished today...😊

I am not certain I have seen you here before great to see you again

Good morning gardeners. I guess it is really Autumn here. The lows were down in the upper 40s overnight. Nice sleeping weather. Busy day today. Got the laundry started, Italian bread is on it's first rise, the chickens have had their breakfast and I harvested one poblano pepper and 4 butternut squashes. There are still 5 moderate to large and 3 small squash left on the vine. My plan for today is to make a batch of the cherry tomato and corn salsa and maybe even a quick mowing in the front yard. The mowing is a low priority for now. After the salsa I only have tomato sauce to make and can then it's moving on to Concord Grape jam. Yum. I can hold off on the apples until the first week of October. I'm happy you posted @NewBoots so we know you are OK. I hope you have indoor air filters to help with the air quality issues. The PM10 from the fire ash is bad for every living thing. Take care and have a great day everyone.

Morning all. Lacking in motivation today. I crammed too much into yesterday, but Fall chores wait for no one.

I didn't even get into the hay field until 5 pm. It took me 3 solid hours to cut. It's so thick it's going to take forever to dry. I'll go out and spread it today. I'll windrow it later in the week and ted it a day after that. We'll be in the 80s and sunny all week, and the dewpoint will be low during the day with wind, so that's good. Well have dew every morning, but it should be well dried out by baling time Friday or Saturday afternoon...crossing fingers.

All the alpacas were turds yesterday. TURDS. Haltering was no problem, but NONE of them wanted to go into the chute for nail trimming. I had to fight every one of them. Once they were in it took less than two minutes to cut the nails of each critter. Geesh. I had one that went bat crap crazy in the chute. I finally had to let him out before he broke a leg or my arm. At one point he slammed my elbow into the chute support. It's black and blue and sore, but good grief. He's a 200 pound baby. Nail trimming doesn't hurt them at all and I've never hit a quick, so I don't know what their issue was. And no, there isn't a calming anything that works on them.

The garden looks rough. No idea if anymore red tomatoes will come of it. I might have to go harvest the white ones and put them in the warm basement. First frost is due in 16ish days, now that's depressing. I'll probably let it go until right before frost to see if I can get more to the white stage.

I cut the last of the mustard seed yesterday and pulled out the loofa and the last sad cabbage.

I have horseradish to plant, so we'll see if that gets done.

The dog needs her sunday bath and ear cleaning. Etsy stuff needs to go online, and DAR work need accomplished. Butt in tractor seat comes first. LOL.

Have a great day everyone.

Morning all. Lacking in motivation today. I crammed too much into yesterday, but Fall chores wait for no one.

I didn't even get into the hay field until 5 pm. It took me 3 solid hours to cut. It's so thick it's going to take forever to dry. I'll go out and spread it today. I'll windrow it later in the week and ted it a day after that. We'll be in the 80s and sunny all week, and the dewpoint will be low during the day with wind, so that's good. Well have dew every morning, but it should be well dried out by baling time Friday or Saturday afternoon...crossing fingers.

All the alpacas were turds yesterday. TURDS. Haltering was no problem, but NONE of them wanted to go into the chute for nail trimming. I had to fight every one of them. Once they were in it took less than two minutes to cut the nails of each critter. Geesh. I had one that went bat crap crazy in the chute. I finally had to let him out before he broke a leg or my arm. At one point he slammed my elbow into the chute support. It's black and blue and sore, but good grief. He's a 200 pound baby. Nail trimming doesn't hurt them at all and I've never hit a quick, so I don't know what their issue was. And no, there isn't a calming anything that works on them.

The garden looks rough. No idea if anymore red tomatoes will come of it. I might have to go harvest the white ones and put them in the warm basement. First frost is due in 16ish days, now that's depressing. I'll probably let it go until right before frost to see if I can get more to the white stage.

I cut the last of the mustard seed yesterday and pulled out the loofa and the last sad cabbage.

I have horseradish to plant, so we'll see if that gets done.

The dog needs her sunday bath and ear cleaning. Etsy stuff needs to go online, and DAR work need accomplished. Butt in tractor seat comes first. LOL.

Have a great day everyone.
Have a great day to you.

Good morning gardeners. I guess it is really Autumn here. The lows were down in the upper 40s overnight. Nice sleeping weather. Busy day today. Got the laundry started, Italian bread is on it's first rise, the chickens have had their breakfast and I harvested one poblano pepper and 4 butternut squashes. There are still 5 moderate to large and 3 small squash left on the vine. My plan for today is to make a batch of the cherry tomato and corn salsa and maybe even a quick mowing in the front yard. The mowing is a low priority for now. After the salsa I only have tomato sauce to make and can then it's moving on to Concord Grape jam. Yum. I can hold off on the apples until the first week of October. I'm happy you posted @NewBoots so we know you are OK. I hope you have indoor air filters to help with the air quality issues. The PM10 from the fire ash is bad for every living thing. Take care and have a great day everyone.
Wow your weather sounds pretty nice. Been quite hot here still. Nights are starting to cool down a little though. As soon as I planted my seedlings and some seeds yesterday found out we may have a hurricane coming. I am not worried about the wind where I have them planted. I can block 3 of 4 sides off. It is the amount of rain this slow moving stom is bringing. Guess I should have been watching the weather better.

@igorsMistress glad you were able to help those pretty birds. (Not sure why it was not tagging like normal)

Hope it pours where the fires are and helps y'all out. At least clear some smoke and ash from the air for you. I could not imagine having to deal with something like that. Stuck inside, still not completely safe, and the unknown. My heart really goes out to all of you. Wish y'all the best and your family.

Back
Top Bottom