What did you do in the garden today?

I got one nice head from each of my plants and then the stems split open and rolled back like a banana peel. Maybe due to the rain or maybe I cut the heads off wrong somehow? Anyway, I'll leave them in the garden since the plants seem fine otherwise, and I did get a few small heads after that but just a few and really small.

There's been a change in the pecking order. Glyness, then Koraline, then Amelia, then the others is how it all started out when they were all chicks and pullets, but it's changed now. First I noticed Koraline being kind of cautious when the treats were being handed out but now it's Glyness being cautious and hanging back when there are high value treats. Amelia (BO) is just calmly first to all special goodies. I don't see any signs of bullying so that's good anyway. It's funny, according to the breed info online, BOs can get picked on since they are "gentle giants", but Amelia has always been super aware of her rank and quick to correct any other girl who overstepped her position and she is the biggest bird in the flock. Lays the biggest eggs too for that matter. I love my little Wild Kingdom. :)
I dunno, the stems aren’t very long on mine so I’ve used a sharp kitchen knife to cut them off.

Hi all. @TJAnonymous I can totally relate. I’ve got so many things going on I suddenly realize I forgot to water or I look at how big the weeds are and cringe. I gave the ducks some peas tonight and they all went to bed with no herding. Tomorrow I have to clean out the pantry but hopefully I’ll get the potatoes planted on Wednesday afternoon. I’m clearing space in the shade garden to move them in there if it gets too hot before it’s time to harvest. I’ve started a compost pile inside a kiddie pool that I’ll eventually plant grass in for the ducks like I did for the chickens. Not much else happening, Spring cleaning the house most days after work. Today was freezers, I hate that chore. Anyway, have a good night/day.

Hi all. @TJAnonymous I can totally relate. I’ve got so many things going on I suddenly realize I forgot to water or I look at how big the weeds are and cringe. I gave the ducks some peas tonight and they all went to bed with no herding. Tomorrow I have to clean out the pantry but hopefully I’ll get the potatoes planted on Wednesday afternoon. I’m clearing space in the shade garden to move them in there if it gets too hot before it’s time to harvest. I’ve started a compost pile inside a kiddie pool that I’ll eventually plant grass in for the ducks like I did for the chickens. Not much else happening, Spring cleaning the house most days after work. Today was freezers, I hate that chore. Anyway, have a good night/day.
I have two plastic kiddie pools that have holes in the bottom. Wasn't sure what to do with them.... You have me thinking now.... Of course, my To-Do list is so long, it's pathetic. It will be sunny tomorrow and then we are supposed to get like 4 days of rain. I really want to get my seed frames put down in the chicken yard and get some grass seed planted before that rain hits. I also have 2 golden raspberry plants and some alpine strawberries to get planted....all that aside from the garden which I haven't even started yet.

I have two plastic kiddie pools that have holes in the bottom. Wasn't sure what to do with them.... You have me thinking now.... Of course, my To-Do list is so long, it's pathetic. It will be sunny tomorrow and then we are supposed to get like 4 days of rain. I really want to get my seed frames put down in the chicken yard and get some grass seed planted before that rain hits. I also have 2 golden raspberry plants and some alpine strawberries to get planted....all that aside from the garden which I haven't even started yet.
I like the pools for things I intend to give full access to. I want to modify the wooden grass frame I have a bit and replant that. It just so happens I found a 2x4 that’s long enough just the other day.

About half the tomatoes have sprouted but none of the Roma’s or San Marzanos. They were planted in soil from a different bag that had been on the porch instead of in the house though so they may need another few days.:fl
I got the daylilys planted did some watering and tried to fill in the holes in the floor of the chicken run. Tried. I dug up hauled several 5 gallon buckets of dirt and I came back to this less than 5 minutes later.
107A27D5-C90D-45D8-A166-5DE15C4F3D5A.jpeg

I think I’ll try gravel next time....

I like the pools for things I intend to give full access to. I want to modify the wooden grass frame I have a bit and replant that. It just so happens I found a 2x4 that’s long enough just the other day.
Do they destroy it before the grass is fully grown? My duck pen is incredibly muddy. This would be a nice way to grow some grass that the mud can't destroy. Unless, of course, the ducks destroy it by digging it up.

@karenerwin - I’m sorry you found out you have Lupus! I don’t know much about it, but am hoping the doctor is able to help you out.

Busy day with no garden stuff. I did call Burpee, sat on hold for a bit, then get verification that the tastemaker pepper is no longer produced by them. It was too problematic. But the suggested the Santa Fe (sold out) or Hungarian Wax.

Back
Top Bottom