What did you do in the garden today?

Good morning gardeners. So happy to hear from you @igorsMistress. I'm glad you have recovered from your eye surgery. It was nice to hear from you as well @karenerwin. It's been a long time. I hope all is well with you and your family. I have a Meyer lemon tree that I keep in my sunroom. I've had this little tree for 8 years and it has produced fruit 3 times. However, they take an exceptionally long time to ripen. My little tree started as a tiny 6 inch twig and even after 8 years it's barely 2 feet tall, but it's wide. I got a Mandarin orange tree the year before last and it is growing just a wee bit faster. It's almost the same size as the old Meyer lemon now. I need to find a better potting mix for them and give them both larger pots. As @Sueby mentioned, the temps are wonderfully cool today. After harvesting the usual morning "bounty" of tomatoes, pole beans, okra and chard, I picked a dozen peaches then watered the backyard gardens. Weed whacking the front yard and mowing the garden are on my plate for the day. Have a great day everyone.

Too , much to do! Gonna just do what I can today, without killing myself! Cooler weather arriving tomorrow, (only 90)but with the humidity, will still feel like the high 90's. Looking forward to that and will do more outside, if possible, after church. The deer are coming in heavy, to eat the bounty and are probing my corn defense. I will likely harvest it within a day or two, but will have to check the moisture content and store it correctly, to allow it to finish drying completely. The raccoons have already penetrated and tasted some and approved it! I have spot checked some and most of the ears are healthy and drying well, so more heirloom cornbread coming. Happy to know fall is approaching, but fairly high temps are likely here through September and into Early October. I did some tilling, just in time for the deluges we recently experienced and it has not dried out enough yet, to get in and fix it and replant fall crops. Happy gardens and chickens!

Note to self: wear shoes by the garden because straw is sneaky and will give you a sliver in the bottom of your foot that wakes you up throughout the night and that you can't get out by yourself without being super bendy.
OUCH! I've had good luck with inside-out duct tape for hard-to-reach slivers. It also works for kids who won't let you touch the "owie." Just roll the tape, sticky side out, over the back of your hand and stick it to the sliver. You can even let the kiddo pull off the tape ... even if he's over 40!

The county is going to put new gravel on our road. They needed a place to turn around, and asked if they could use an empty spot on our property. We said ok, they mowed it! It was hip-waist high grass, but the took it right down.

So yesterday and today, I've raked up 3 big piles of thatch. Next-spring-Sally will be very glad that super-sweaty-Sally did that! Cuz, wow, did I sweat. It's going to be in a pile next to my very heavy soil garden, and I can use it as mulch next season. I'll be able to take if off in sheets after it sits.

Back
Top Bottom