What did you do in the garden today?

Need to harvest more than I have the energy to deal with. I also found squash bugs for the first time in my garden today. I grabbed a zucchini and lifted some leaves in the process. I found a mess of squash bugs! Does permethryn work on them? I have some in the garage and thinking about spraying it. I'll be pulling the zucchini and yellow squash soon now because of them.

Still hot and dry. Watering every day! Looks like we might get a break with some rain the next few days.

Planted the last of the fall plantings. Beets, green beans, carrots (maybe they will get big enough in time), and various turnips.

Yellow-jacket nest is eradicated, that entire wall dismantled on the outside...and now re-walled (missing the new cedar shingles). If an insect wants to live in that wall again, it will not be successful...there are several layers, with the final layer being exterior grade plywood, and then we will add on the new cedar shingles.

This is what the wall previously looked like. These cedar shingles are 35+ years old. Not looking too bad at all! However, we found many small mud dauber nests under several shingles. Mud daubers don't really bug people, they fly around looking scary (they are a wasp), but don't care a bit about people or their food, and they seem to build nests for an individual or a small few (they are very small nests). The yellow jackets, however, built a large nest in the wall cavity, and were chewing through the interior drywall (YIKES). Where their efforts were almost completed, was behind a cabinet in the kitchen, so we would never have seen them come in if that were to have happened. And this must have only occurred this season - as we never noticed any yellow jackets before a few weeks ago. But its all fixed now - just awaiting the cosmetic cedar shakes.
Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 3.29.05 PM.png

The adopted cat LOVES attention....but is living primarily in his large enclosure to home him here and make sure he's ok, and to give resident barn cat the opportunity to get to know his scent. The resident barn cat, Penny, is not at all happy he's there. She wont go to his cage at all, and if we happened to pet him, and then later try to pet her, she will hiss at our hand that smells like him. Their cages are not in sight of each other, and they are in different areas of the barn. We will give this a few more weeks, then allow them to mingle - I'm tempted to install a camera for the event - cat fight might ensue, but they need to settle things as the cats see fit. This is why we are keeping them separate for now.

Peppers: We grow mostly sweet to mildly hot Italian types. They are looking good!

the toms in the background look terrible, but are still putting up blossoms.
Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 3.41.32 PM.png

the pepper plants have produced fairly well, so far.
Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 3.41.43 PM.png

Looking nice!
Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 3.41.54 PM.png

Afternoon all.
Garden has been weeded and picked clean again.
Coop nest boxes cleaned and moved.
DH moved manure.
DS spent an hour picking cherry tomatoes for me.
Laundry is managed.
6 qts of puree on the stove simmering. I think I'll turn this batch into sauce sans meat.
Huge storms fizzled to normal storms right before they hit us. The winds only made it to 42mph and we managed 1.5 inches of rain. Perfect.
While cooler today, only 78, the humidity is off the charts. We'll be back in the stormy upper 80s and 90s all week, but that's the way of it.

Have a good day all.

I'm in the "wishin I was in a cooler climate" phase right now. These upper 90's days ain't good for the garden. But I started plantin for spring in Feb. and grow stuff all year round so I can't gripe. Xcept not much is growin right now. We've had a couple inches rain the past few days so I've been pullin weeds& givin 'em to the goats & chickens.

Need to harvest more than I have the energy to deal with. I also found squash bugs for the first time in my garden today. I grabbed a zucchini and lifted some leaves in the process. I found a mess of squash bugs! Does permethryn work on them? I have some in the garage and thinking about spraying it. I'll be pulling the zucchini and yellow squash soon now because of them.
I was talking to someone on another thread about squash bugs and she said to use permethryn.
So give it a go!

Cleaned out the manure from the rabbit cages and scraped the poop board in one coop. Dumped all of that into the garden a long with a wagon load of dirt. Hubby and I worked on installing the automatic door in the other coop. I just need to go out and plug in the electric and set the timers. It will be such a blessing to have that coop opening and closing automated! Squished more squash bugs. Thought we were going to get some rain but it only sprinkled and not for very long.

Dh and toddler have been watering for me all week. Dh turned it into a game for the toddler and its been nice not juggling the newborn and a garden hose. Dh is hoping to bring home a ton more cardboard this week, but they're a little behind without him so we'll see. I just need a couple of beds in by the end of sept/Oct so I can plant garlic and get ready to overwinter some things for the spring.

Dd is doing great by the way. Gaining weight and doing all the newborn things.

Back
Top Bottom