What did you do in the garden today?

Started doing some garden cleanup. Removed all the zucchini and yellow squash plants and put them in the fire pit since at least one plant was covered in squash bugs. Then I harvested small pumpkins and butternut squash. DW cleared the last bit of the cucumbers and started pulling the vines. Squirrels have eaten just about all the glass gem corn so I need to pull the stalks out and shred them with the chipper. They'll be used as being in the duck run.

There's still quite a bit growing. Tomatoes are still producing a bit, kale and brussel sprouts are going nuts, parsnips are growing and carrots are struggling along. I have no idea if there's tubers growing under the Jerusalem artichokes or not but the plants are going wild. Sunflowers are grown and forming seeds, but they aren't black yet. Herbs are all gone to seed, but I'll collect the seeds for cooking and planting next year. My strawberries are spreading nicely and the rhubarb pants are getting very large, both of which are perennial crops I started this year.

Last edited:
Started doing some garden cleanup. Removed all the zucchini and yellow squash plants and put them in the fire pit since at least one plant was covered in squash bugs. Then I harvested anal pumpkins and butternut squash. DW cleared the last bit of the cucumbers and started pulling the vines. Squirrels have eaten just about all the glass gem corn so I need to pull the stalks out and shred them with the chipper. They'll be used as being in the duck run.

There's still quite a bit growing. Tomatoes are still producing a bit, kale and brussel sprouts are going nuts, parsnips are growing and carrots are struggling along. I have no idea if there's tubers growing under the Jerusalem artichokes or not but the plants are going wild. Sunflowers are grown and forming seeds, but they aren't black yet. Herbs are all gone to seed, but I'll collect the seeds for cooking and planting next year. My strawberries are spreading nicely and the rhubarb pants are getting very large, both of which are perennial crops I started this year.
Anal Pumpkins? What the heck is that?😳

Edited now. That was supposed to sm read "small pumpkins". Swipe text on my phone... apparently it has its own perverted mind.
Lucky for me my husband is the only one who has gotten my stupid autocorrect messages.
I want to play a prank on my husband, what this girl did to her mom, where every time he tries to send a certain word it changes it to the "new" word. :lau
He already thinks his phone is possessed. 👻

Need to harvest more than I have the energy to deal with. I also found squash bugs for the first time in my garden today. I grabbed a zucchini and lifted some leaves in the process. I found a mess of squash bugs! Does permethryn work on them? I have some in the garage and thinking about spraying it. I'll be pulling the zucchini and yellow squash soon now because of them.

let a few chickens in your garden and bugs will be gone. I do that when plants are big so chickens cannot damage them. I let 2-3 chickens at a time. more chickens might destroy some plants.

I've been thinking of doing that @chickengr but they'll destroy my lettuce so I can't without a lot of work fencing it off. I have also found that NOTHING works once the squash bugs get out of control, I didn't try permethrin but I have my doubts - even Sevin doesn't work at that point. Chickens would be happy to give it a shot for sure!

Morning all. Humid out there again. Hope all our chicken/garden friends in Ida's path are ok.

Nothing happening in the garden today. The purple bush beans are done, just letting some beans dry for next year & then I'll pull them. The purple poles are just about done too, another picking probably & then dry some.

I pulled a bunch of dead heads off the Cosmos - I've never tried to save seeds from flowers but I really like them so I'll give it a shot. :idunno No clue what I'm doing.

Back
Top Bottom