What did you do in the garden today?

Are you still using pvc? Or going to use wood for the hoops? I was thinking pvc with 45 and 90 elbows would make a structure shaped like your greenhouse in the background.
Nope 16 foot cattle panels, using giant fencing staples to anchor them to the top of the wall. Then 2x4s on the end wall framing will help them hold center and in a solid arch.
I worked until just now, 5pm, so that's 8 hours today. I am now out of any sizable lumber I can use on this project from the scrap bin, and totally out of 3 and 2.5 inch deck screws.
I tried really hard carrying those panels, installing them, and lifting them up to break my arm twice. But I turned out not to be good enough at it. KNOCKING on wood, I don't have. LOL.

6-2x4s and a box of screws, and 8-1x2s, will get me to a place I can stop for a wee bit.

Nope 16 foot cattle panels, using giant fencing staples to anchor them to the top of the wall. Then 2x4s on the end wall framing will help them hold center and in a solid arch.
I worked until just now, 5pm, so that's 8 hours today. I am now out of any sizable lumber I can use on this project from the scrap bin, and totally out of 3 and 2.5 inch deck screws.
I tried really hard carrying those panels, installing them, and lifting them up to break my arm twice. But I turned out not to be good enough at it. KNOCKING on wood, I don't have. LOL.

6-2x4s and a box of screws, and 8-1x2s, will get me to a place I can stop for a wee bit.
I have cattle panels all over in my garden, and I have plans to put more in to hoop my garden a little more.

I have cattle panels all over in my garden, and I have plans to put more in to hoop my garden a little more.
It was a LOT of wrestling. LOL.
The rest of my garden is cattle panels too. I love them.
I have one concrete structure panel out there, that is a rusty cut waiting to happen. If the raspberry bush wasn't calling that home, I'd have it out and a proper panel put in.

Well we started on stuff… relaying brick in chicken run area… this will take some time, as housing has to be moved as we go View attachment 2993356
Eventually this area will have new houses, old screening replaced with new, I want to up grade the extra fencing to metal, add some boarding along bottom as well and more… so this area is under construction and pretty big.

We started clearing out portable planting boxes, boxes in ground and cutting back the jungle…

The Papyrus is huge, hubby slashed back to it. It was surrounded by bramble. He hacked back a lot. I’ve been very ill so the garden reverted to jungle.
View attachment 2993365

I started on this as well… this will take a while… this is the section still left to cut back. Black Berry
View attachment 2993366
I don't envy you

Anybody else see these "SuperSeed" trays? I found them at several stores just recently. I have bought not any though. In store they are $8-$12 (cheaper than $15 on Burpee's site). They seem very sturdy and like they would hold up for many years, not like the very cheap plastic most starter cells are made of. The silicon bottoms allow the gardener to gently press the starts out of the cells too and then pop right back into place for the next use (I've cracked many cheap starters this way. The biggest draw for me is the reusability. I currently reuse what I can, but still find that cheap starters crack very easily and I typically have to buy more. I was saved so far this year only because I have leftover recycled paper starter trays from last year. I'm thinking about buying a few of these each year and gradually phasing out the old stuff. Does anybody have experience with them yet?

View attachment 2993616View attachment 2993617
I looked at those Burpee trays last weekend. I was really tempted to buy them but chose to wait and not make an impulse buy. Would be curious about opinions too....

Well, it was 65 degrees here today... But at night it drops into the 20s. Going to continue that way all week until Friday when it's supposed to rain. Then it's crappy cold weather back into the 40s and 50s during the day and 20s at night. 😕 On a positive note, I noticed today that my Meyer Lemon tree has little tiny leaf buds on it! Yay! For those who don't remember, I left it outside too long and the cold weather nearly killed it. I moved it into the sunroom but all the leaves fell off anyway. Not a single leaf left on it and some of the wood changed from a deep green to a putrid yellow and beige. I've been misting it daily with water to help bring up the humidity. So I'm pretty pumped to see the tiny little leaf buds. Surely that's a good sign that there's hope of a recovery of some kind.

I need to figure out a good way to make signs. I used Sharpies but they fade away within a month or so. I've tried other kinds of tags but they disintegrate.
I do product reviews. Even if I can only use these signs (12) for starters inside, I’ll be happy. However, one paint I’m reviewing is for indoor/outdoor. I’ll be putting the wood and paints in water daily starting tomorrow. I know we all struggle with finding the right sign/writing instrument combo.

Back
Top Bottom