What did you do in the garden today?

Wthr Lady, I too have used Solo cups as plant pots. I ran out and am now using the really thin plant pots I got by the hundreds. they are not as tall, but exactly same diameter. I guess it depends on how your plants want to grow their roots. Lake effect weather! Whoa. And a very beautiful yard, as BReeder says.
I want them deep and tall.
Glad you found your seeds @BReeder!

I just spent 4 solid hours in the garden, a lot of walking, a lot of swearing, but my little 8 year old hen kept me company while I worked. She's such a sweet thing. This double dipped hill had me going crazy. It makes for a wild optical illusion. But everything has been checked, double checked, squared, plumb and checked again.

The top two inches of soil is frozen but once through that, it's not TOO bad. Anchors go down 2 feet, and I'd like to buy three more.

The base box follows the lay of the hill, but the top rail is true to the horizon and both are true to each other. As soon it was 32 degrees I was out the door. Long denim skirt, long socks, Tshirt, windbreaker, and gloves and good enough. It's now 38. VERY NICE out.

I think I'll go out after this late lunch and get the panels up.
I'm afraid my hands will be useless tomorrow after swinging a sledge today.

Once the panels are up and square with temporary braces, I'll work out the framing for the end bits, come up with a lumber shopping list, and custom build a door. The sides, below the panels, will be painted ply and on hinges so they can be raised and lowered for ventilation. At least that's the plan for now.
20220214_134503.jpg

Cold here. 11F at 9 am. So schools were on a 2 hour delay due to the cold.

Ice. My spouse was out with teen and came home after having fallen on some ice while they were out. We decided to go to urgent care to make sure it was just a sprain (could move foot and bear weight, but painful). Good thing we went yesterday-the ankle is broken! Very clear break of the lower part of the thinner leg bone. So, ortho appt tomorrow- May end up needing surgery, so we will find out tomorrow.

The onion seeds I started have done well germinating, lids are off the trays. Will start asparagus, tomatoes and peppers soon.
OWIE!!!!!

Ice. My spouse was out with teen and came home after having fallen on some ice while they were out. We decided to go to urgent care to make sure it was just a sprain (could move foot and bear weight, but painful). Good thing we went yesterday-the ankle is broken! Very clear break of the lower part of the thinner leg bone. So, ortho appt tomorrow- May end up needing surgery, so we will find out tomorrow.

The onion seeds I started have done well germinating, lids are off the trays. Will start asparagus, tomatoes and peppers soon.
OUCH!

I want them deep and tall.
Glad you found your seeds @BReeder!

I just spent 4 solid hours in the garden, a lot of walking, a lot of swearing, but my little 8 year old hen kept me company while I worked. She's such a sweet thing. This double dipped hill had me going crazy. It makes for a wild optical illusion. But everything has been checked, double checked, squared, plumb and checked again.

The top two inches of soil is frozen but once through that, it's not TOO bad. Anchors go down 2 feet, and I'd like to buy three more.

The base box follows the lay of the hill, but the top rail is true to the horizon and both are true to each other. As soon it was 32 degrees I was out the door. Long denim skirt, long socks, Tshirt, windbreaker, and gloves and good enough. It's now 38. VERY NICE out.

I think I'll go out after this late lunch and get the panels up.
I'm afraid my hands will be useless tomorrow after swinging a sledge today.

Once the panels are up and square with temporary braces, I'll work out the framing for the end bits, come up with a lumber shopping list, and custom build a door. The sides, below the panels, will be painted ply and on hinges so they can be raised and lowered for ventilation. At least that's the plan for now.View attachment 2994023
Are you still using pvc? Or going to use wood for the hoops? I was thinking pvc with 45 and 90 elbows would make a structure shaped like your greenhouse in the background.

Anybody else see these "SuperSeed" trays? I found them at several stores just recently. I have bought not any though. In store they are $8-$12 (cheaper than $15 on Burpee's site). They seem very sturdy and like they would hold up for many years, not like the very cheap plastic most starter cells are made of. The silicon bottoms allow the gardener to gently press the starts out of the cells too and then pop right back into place for the next use (I've cracked many cheap starters this way. The biggest draw for me is the reusability. I currently reuse what I can, but still find that cheap starters crack very easily and I typically have to buy more. I was saved so far this year only because I have leftover recycled paper starter trays from last year. I'm thinking about buying a few of these each year and gradually phasing out the old stuff. Does anybody have experience with them yet?

View attachment 2993616View attachment 2993617
I hadn’t seen those yet, thanks for sharing. If you try them out please let us know what you think. I like the option for different sizes, but agree the reuse factor is the real appeal.

Good morning gardeners and welcome to the thread @Boppo. We only got about 2 inches of snow this time. Just enough to give some traction over the layer of ice on the ground. I was nearly estactic yesterday when I was able to open the rear gate in my backyard. I can actually walk to the garden gate now. Whoo hoo! The ice is receding finally. We actually had enough melting in the chicken yard on Saturday that the girls were able to wander about and find grass to nibble. It's cold today and tomorrow but warming up again on Wednesday so perhaps this ice cap will finally go away. I'm still suffering from sticker shock for any and everything. I was going to purchase more hoops for another raised bed but the price is $10 more than last year. I'll stick with the set I have for now. The bed I made a partial frame to hang a plastic cover 2 seasons ago will get an upgrade and that will be my extra garden bed for early starts. I've ordered all my seeds and am waiting for the last order to ship, but I am finished with that. I really think I will just do the direct seeding this year. What I have grown this way in the past always seems to do better. I am going a head with my plans to expand the chicken yard and ordered some bird netting from Amazon to help with the airborne predators. I'm hoping to re-integrate my rooster with the ladies so everyone is happy. I'm curious to learn how well those starter pods work for you @BReeder! Yesterday DD and I celebrated "Gal-entines Day" with a trip to a botanical garden and lunch at Olive Garden. This is such a pleasant thing to do when pretty much everything outdoors is encased in ice and snow. The garden was having an orchid show. OMG! Warm and spectacular. I just had to sneak in a couple of Camellias. Have a great day.
View attachment 2993633View attachment 2993637View attachment 2993638View attachment 2993639View attachment 2993637View attachment 2993640View attachment 2993638View attachment 2993643View attachment 2993641
So beautiful! Thanks for sharing Sarah.

Oh my goodness! I hope whoever was hurt heals well!

Good afternoon gardeners. This was dropped off at my house yesterday, and I got the shipping notification this morning.

BBCD53C2-365A-4E2F-B51A-AC3C023F9575.jpeg

🙃 That’s ok, it didn’t cost me any cash 😃 Hubs is off Friday so I’ll have him put it together and we’ll give it a try next weekend. If it works ok it will help a lot with the trimmings that always add major bulk to my compost every spring. Nothing much outside today, I’m headed to the kitchen to give it a thorough cleaning this afternoon. Have a good night all.

Back
Top Bottom