What did you do in the garden today?

I almost fainted when I checked my retirement accounts yesterday.
Yeah, it's scary. I retired 2 years ago, but DH is still working. He will retire mid-July, but he likes his job and they LOVE him, so he can "write his own ticket" (boss' words!) and work part time as he wants to. Which he has said he'll do.

Meanwhile, plant-plant-plant! Food on the table and wood for the wood stove for heat. That'll help a lot.

It's sunny again (2 days in a row!), and as soon as it's up to 45 degrees, I'll be out and getting my hands dirty.

I want. to put my tomato starts in my garden wagon to take them outside then back into the garage . Need to Harden them off . They are about 10 inches tall .
DSCN1108.JPG

Yeah, it's scary. I retired 2 years ago, but DH is still working. He will retire mid-July, but he likes his job and they LOVE him, so he can "write his own ticket" (boss' words!) and work part time as he wants to. Which he has said he'll do.

Meanwhile, plant-plant-plant! Food on the table and wood for the wood stove for heat. That'll help a lot.

It's sunny again (2 days in a row!), and as soon as it's up to 45 degrees, I'll be out and getting my hands dirty.
I agree on planting, I just opened my last bag of green beans from last year. Time to warm up here Mother Nature! This all makes me want to do meat birds even more.

So DS is having trouble getting his nasal spray. The company just cannot keep up this year. So he got a notice that the pharmacy had it ready to pick up, but is wasn't his nasonex, it was flonase, which he cannot take.
He said his doctor said the replacement was OK.
So DS called his doc and the doc said he didn't approve a replacement.
The pharmacy said they got a fax from the doc authorizing the replacement.
DS said SHOW ME>
It was from a doc that hasn't seen him in OVER 7 years! The request was NEW. Turns out the pharmacy has been refilling and requesting refills from a doctor my kid hasn't seen in 7 years for the past 4! They just keep asking and they kept refilling, instead of taking the ACTIVE NEW script from his current doctor every Fall. OMG I AM FRICKEN LIVID. Why do we constantly have to do other people's jobs?!?!?
Is it any wonder that I do not trust medical people??
Same pharmacy gave me the WRONG company antibiotic two months ago, allergic to additives and colorings, and the reaction I had OMG.
GRRRRRRR.
DS is a full on adult- and he is muddling through learning all this on his own.
This last reaction was scary for him. If he had been living alone in an apartment, mom shudders to think.
=============
Rant over, and thank you.
All the plants are in the greenhouse and sleeping out there over night. So far so good. Another week or two and I'll up pot the tomato seedlings and add feed to their soil when I mix it up.
The mums are ready for sale as soon as I label the pots.
Then I can use that room to get some tomatoes in the soil in the hoophouse.I've never overwintered mums. EASY! My peppers didn't make it, but the mums did.

Good morning gardeners. I hear you on the cost of everything now. I am on a fixed income and the COLA increase for retirees this year is already gone. I went to BJ's last week to stock up on chicken. I got lucky. I have enough chicken to last quite a while. I even bought some spare ribs. Then I picked up some beef on sale at my regular grocery store. My freezer is packed. My seed potatoes from Jung arrived yesterday. I cut them up and they are drying on my kitchen prep table. These are Red Pontiac and White Superior potatoes. I'm hoping to get a good crop this year. I added another garden bed to plant more vegetables this year. This gives me a little over 310 square feet of garden space not counting the herb gardens and numerous containers. This should produce enough for me and DD. I only have 2 small jars of tomato sauce in the basement storage, but getting a little low on jams. I still have boatloads of peaches and green beans in the freezer as well as poblano and jalapeno peppers. I still have pickles and salsa verde as well. Considering the garden struggled last year, I think this is not bad at all. The trip to the feed store this past weekend was fine, no increase in All Flock prices again. I feel bad for those who have to commute to work with the gas prices just being ridiculous. I don't drive that much so it's not as painful. All you can do is keep on planting and doing with less.

Back
Top Bottom