What did you do in the garden today?

if the shelves continue to be empty who is gonna need so much toilet paper :lau
It must be a local supply/population thing. I have yet to see an empty space on a shelf since the great emptying of March 2020. Except for those fried chinese noodles, those went missing and just came back in january this year.

Here, there has been intermittent shortages. But, lately it has been generally ok. There was definitely a shortage of many things through much of 2020. 2021 was better, but it took awhile for things to be reliably in stock. Canning lids and jars is still intermittent and often still out of stock. But, there is little shelf space given to those products anyway (even pre-Covid). I’ve been buying some when I see them in stock, but can’t buy huge amounts.

Baking items in short supply- but usually ok now.

Walmart - still can go down the pasta/tomato sauce aisle and it can be 75% empty. Sone prepackaged things seem to never be in stock and seems more hit/miss there. Only recently has the TP aisle been well stocked at Walmart.

You know...there are a lot of cattle farmers and poultry houses in the US. I don't understand why....with all that poop....we can't simply make our own fertilizer? We don't need to import it.
We fertilize our fields with manure, we've never bought fertilizer for our hay fields.

Good morning gardeners. I hear you on the cost of everything now. I am on a fixed income and the COLA increase for retirees this year is already gone. I went to BJ's last week to stock up on chicken. I got lucky. I have enough chicken to last quite a while. I even bought some spare ribs. Then I picked up some beef on sale at my regular grocery store. My freezer is packed. My seed potatoes from Jung arrived yesterday. I cut them up and they are drying on my kitchen prep table. These are Red Pontiac and White Superior potatoes. I'm hoping to get a good crop this year. I added another garden bed to plant more vegetables this year. This gives me a little over 310 square feet of garden space not counting the herb gardens and numerous containers. This should produce enough for me and DD. I only have 2 small jars of tomato sauce in the basement storage, but getting a little low on jams. I still have boatloads of peaches and green beans in the freezer as well as poblano and jalapeno peppers. I still have pickles and salsa verde as well. Considering the garden struggled last year, I think this is not bad at all. The trip to the feed store this past weekend was fine, no increase in All Flock prices again. I feel bad for those who have to commute to work with the gas prices just being ridiculous. I don't drive that much so it's not as painful. All you can do is keep on planting and doing with less.
My husband has to put $80 of gas in his work truck every day.

My DH travels an hour or so each way to work. It's painful. The governor dropped the 25 cent gas tax we have till Dec, which helps, but he didn't drop it for diesel. You know, the fuel that makes everything go 'round.

It must be a local supply/population thing. I have yet to see an empty space on a shelf since the great emptying of March 2020. Except for those fried chinese noodles, those went missing and just came back in january this year.
I do think it's a bigger deal here on the east coast than in other areas & I'm not quite sure why. Everything is more expensive between the big cities (Boston & NY), but I can't say I understand the shortages of things. It must be supply chain issues as the big farms are not nearby.
We have an advantage when it comes to TP. We live in an RV, so only one kind of toilet paper can be used (it breaks down really fast) and it's in the RV and camping section of the store. ;)
We use regular TP in ours. RV TP is super expensive & we don't see any difference when using it. Our toter is not the normal camper though, so...

I did watch a couple youtube videos on experiments people did with different TPs & different treatments, pretty informative & what got me trying out regular TP.
Just got 40 Jumbo Cornish Cross chicks delivered today from McMurray.
Jealous!

Went to a honey hole of mine today on Lake Tawakoni to catch some shad (bait) for this catfish season.. while I was there, total of 30 minutes I guess, I thought I’d fish a minute and see what’s runnin in the rocks.. it’s been awful cool here for end of April and I didn’t expect to catch anything but managed to catch a couple channel cats and will be back early in the morning to catch more.. they’ll make the grease stink come supper time.. the wife is off tomorrow so I’ll have a fishin buddy in the mornin..

Attachments

• 82018BC4-B245-4041-B472-304C8B02232C.jpeg
    82018BC4-B245-4041-B472-304C8B02232C.jpeg
    307.7 KB · Views: 2
  • A5E1D401-4074-4BAC-9FC9-AD1FE23D4F1A.jpeg
    A5E1D401-4074-4BAC-9FC9-AD1FE23D4F1A.jpeg
    659.3 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom