What did you do in the garden today?

Do you think 2 ft or 3 ft is high enough? Just going around the edges of each box once things are planted in it.
I'd go with 3 feet, 2 feet seem low and I don't think they make that size. However, I cut some chicken fence into 2 foot lengths and wrapped them inside of my 20 inch pot and my chickens never tried to jump in.

They ate my sweet potato slips with out the fence ring and couldn't get to them with the fence ring. However, I let them eat the leaves that hang over.

Last edited:
Good morning gardeners. Socked in by a nasty winter storm. We’ve had over 9 inches of precipitation in the last 25 hours. Snow, sleet, rain, more snow and 4 more inches expected. Power went out for 1/2 hour in the middle of the night then again for 1 1/2 hours this morning. Upside is there’s a good deal of snow on the roof to insulate the house. I cooked my breakfast oatmeal on my sterno stove and as soon as it was finished cooking the power came back on. Yay! I was able to make toast. There’s another storm heading our way on Wednesday. But everything is so pretty. So much nitrogen for the garden.
Happy you are staying positive through the storm and power outage. I get frantic when the power goes out. We had a very brief outage where power turn off and right back on the other day and I was worrying about it going out the rest of the day and ready to head to a relative's house with the kids to keep them warm.
Power outages are rare here though, so it's likely I am just not used to it like some others are.

Ever since the seriously bad ice and snowstorm back in 2009 I believe, in this area they rebuilt the power lines and connections really well. The power outage back then lasted more than a month. We’re still paying higher electric bills here from the work they did but I’ve been here nearly 5 years now and haven’t had a power outage lasting more than an hour or two. I’ve been through worse so I try to remain prepared for them. I have a portable generator but haven’t needed to use it yet. I also have a gas grill, a charcoal grill, a sterno camp stove and a butane stove. I have a fireplace but only use the pressed logs that don’t emit CO fumes. Add my oil lamps and flashlights, and need I mention enough food for several months. I’m good. Lol! The longest power outage I’ve experienced was 8 days during the ice storm in the Pacific Northwest in November 1996. That was not fun and I wasn’t prepped at all.

Hey gardeners!

Not much happening here. The rain has finally turned to snow, perfect timing too since I just got home from PT. @Wee Farmer Sarah glad the power came back quickly! Are you in for more in Wed too? The worst power issue I had was 8 days after a freak Oct snowstorm when all the leaves were still on the trees. I’m a camper so I actually had fun. 😂 Thankfully work was shut down too or it wouldn’t have been such a fun adventure, lol.

Thinking about firing up the aero garden. Maybe some lettuce & arugula or something. Chives too, I could use some chives. Maybe I’ll have DH dig it out tonight & I’ll go through my seeds.

Onions are all chopped & frozen! Only took me like a week. 🤣

Off to get caught up here!

The wind is in today, keeps knocking stuff over outside like crazy, temperatures supposed to drop below freezing tomorrow night. They were saying there was a chance of snow in the morning, but the expected overnight temps got increased above freezing. So rain tomorrow? Believe it when I see it.

Daydreaming about spring gardening while the wind howls...

I am doing an experiment with 3 won bok sprouts. I will be growing them hydroponically in a qt mason jar with a 3 inch net cup filled clay pebbles. I put individual seeds in rock wool cubes and only 3 came up, so far only one of them is big enough to be planted. I am using maxi grow blend fertilizer at half strength for now. My plan is to refill with boiled garlic juice and alternate with Maxi Grow. The reason I am doing this experiment is because my Won Bok usually gets infested with a tiny round black insect and aphids. I am hoping that the garlic juice will solve this problem.

I will refill the mason jar to an inch below the bottom of the net cup daily. I have grown Bok Choy like this before and had to use soap to get rid of the tiny black round insect. I am not sure if the tiny round black dots are poop or insects. I will try to focus and take a good look at them this time around.

Last edited:
After the freeze in Texas last year that took down ERCOT, I had a gut feeling that this year was going to be a mess. For the record, I'm on Entergy and we have our own power plant nearby but Entergy often sells through interconnection agreement so if ERCOT or MISO get screwed, it can still affect us. Based upon my intuition, I added solar, a whole house generator (fueled by propane) and a 2000 SF rated wood-burning fireplace. It's a good thing I did because my intuition was right on. Due to the polar bomb before Christmas, Entergy cut power to rural customers like us for upwards of 15 hrs. I can easily see them doing it again... Luckily we were fine due to the redundancy I put in place.

We did the same thing here because you can never trust the price of oil & we like to always have a backup plan. This year we’re heating 100% with pellets because oil is redic, but we have the minisplits, baseboard oil, pellet stoves & 2 generators (diesel & propane).

We got a couple inches of snow - finally! The birds were at the top of the hill hiding under the little coop, had to send DH out to chase them down to their coop or they’d be sleeping outside. Silly birds get stuck wherever they are when it snows. 😂

The wind is in today, keeps knocking stuff over outside like crazy, temperatures supposed to drop below freezing tomorrow night. They were saying there was a chance of snow in the morning, but the expected overnight temps got increased above freezing. So rain tomorrow? Believe it when I see it.

Daydreaming about spring gardening while the wind howls...
Good to see you around. You’ve been MIA lately, I was wondering where you went!

Back
Top Bottom