What did you do in the garden today?

Although my backyard is still sitting under two feet of snow, I am thinking about building a pallet wood greenhouse with a hoop/cattle panel arch on top. I have read that a greenhouse should face south, but does that apply to a hoop greenhouse as well considering there are no walls?
I run all my rows/raised beds east-west. On some of the raised beds, I'll plant short things on the south side, and taller things on the north side.

three fruit trees arrived today! Planted them today! Ordered in Dec during a sale.

We bought one more peach tree bc one from last year is looking like it might not make it, or it will take awhile to get to fruiting - maybe it got too dry, or was stressed in shipping? So, we bought a different one from Stark Bros.

Screen Shot 2023-03-09 at 5.42.27 PM.png

We also decided to try Persimmons. They are hardy in zone 6, and we planted them on south side of house, so the microclimate should be a bit warmer on that side - time will tell.
Screen Shot 2023-03-09 at 5.41.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-03-09 at 5.41.56 PM.png

This brings us to 11 fruit trees planted over the past 5 years. We now have 2 plum, 2 apricot, 3 peach, 2 persimmon, and 2 Asian Pear. All different varieties, and all should be able to pollinate the other (within a fruit type, of course).

Garden is looking good for March:

All Rhubarb is starting to grow - We have 4 plants
Screen Shot 2023-03-09 at 5.50.24 PM.png

Garlic - we didn't even cover this one.....
Screen Shot 2023-03-09 at 5.50.34 PM.png

The other garlic is popping up - heavy layer of compost on top.
Screen Shot 2023-03-09 at 5.50.43 PM.png

Red Dorking with his 3 girls.
Screen Shot 2023-03-09 at 5.51.25 PM.png

Asparagus: When should I expect to begin to see some growing? there isn't any life showing in that bed yet. We planted it last spring and let it go and grow all last year until it yellowed and was done for the season- then we cut it down when it was quite cold. It appears we have some voles(?) in that bed....but their holes are not at the plants.

Some of my tomato seedlings have yellowing leaves. Too much water? Can I save them?View attachment 3427022
Are they getting enough nutrients? Either from the soil or from fertilizer?

Are they getting too much fertilizer?

Are they getting enough or too much light? What’s your light setup? How long do they stay under the light each day?

Back
Top Bottom