What did you do in the garden today?

At this stage and in pots, I'm gong with a nitrogen level as too low. Which can be from too much watering and from a lack up uptake in the soil, if the soil is lacking.
A nice half strength feed would be great.
If your pots have holes in the bottom, water the tray and let them uptake the water. Go back, and add water to the tray if you need to, but after an hour, dump any left over water in the tray.
I feed my seedlings once a week with half strength.

Bought my first bag of seed mix!
How is that brand? I am disappointed in Miracle Grow Seed Starter mix. It has a lot of woody twig pieces, it seems more like potting mix instead of a seed starter.. I have to sift it through a 8 inch net cup for me to use it. I just bought another brand called Jiffy seed starter, its like how all seed started should be like. Its has fine sifted peat, coco coir and vermiculite.

I stuck a zip tie through an aquarium pump tube and wrapped it around the foam, so it can't fall in the trash bin. This is the best thing I could come up with to make it rain proof. However some rain water can get in the small hole, so its not really water proof.

DSCN0091.JPG

Last edited:
Are they getting enough nutrients? Either from the soil or from fertilizer?

Are they getting too much fertilizer?

Are they getting enough or too much light? What’s your light setup? How long do they stay under the light each day?
I followed a seed starting recipe from MIgardener.com. A combination of Coco bliss, perlite, vermiculite and then added Burpees Natural Purpose Organic Food, following the directions on the bag. They're under grow lights for about 18 hours a day. My stems were a bit spindly, so I've had an oscillating fan on them to strengthen them. That's been working, very well. But, I was concerned that the soil was drying out, so I've been watering, lightly, more often. Water has always been my problem with house plants. I just can't tell when they need water

At this stage and in pots, I'm gong with a nitrogen level as too low. Which can be from too much watering and from a lack up uptake in the soil, if the soil is lacking.
A nice half strength feed would be great.
If your pots have holes in the bottom, water the tray and let them uptake the water. Go back, and add water to the tray if you need to, but after an hour, dump any left over water in the tray.
I feed my seedlings once a week with half strength.
Thank you! I can try this, too. I do have tiny holes in the bottom of the pots, that I drilled, myself. I might need to make them larger.

Edited to add: Can you recommend a fertilizer? Or... I do have this. Would it work?
received_165447893008484.jpeg

Last edited:
How is that brand? I am disappointed in Miracle Grow Seed Starter mix. It has a lot of woody twig pieces, it seems more like potting mix instead of a seed starter.. I have to sift it through a 8 inch net cup for me to use it. I just bought another brand called Jiffy seed starter, its like how all seed started should be like. Its has fine sifted peat, coco coir and vermiculite.
I’ll let you know what it looks like when I open the bag! When I pot up, I’ll use regular potting soil, but I’m hoping I like this seed starter!

Thank you! I can try this, too. I do have tiny holes in the bottom of the pots, that I drilled, myself. I might need to make them larger.

Edited to add: Can you recommend a fertilizer? Or... I do have this. Would it work?
View attachment 3427283
You could utilize this, but the easiest solution to feed tomatoes in my opinion is blood meal and/or worm castings. Both are organic and have less likeliness to burn the plants than using concentrated liquid fertilizer. Since this is intended for an AeroGarden, you will likely need to mix this with water and I would look at the ratios provided with the original product it came with.

Good morning gardeners. The ice cap crusted over again last night so much I can walk on top of it. Good news this morning, all 36 cells in the starter trays of leeks have sprouts. Leeks are sooo slooow! I “walked” about the gardens and the raised beds are all nestled under several inches of frozen snow. I ordered 4 inch grow pots yesterday online and am headed to my favorite bargain store, Ocean State Job Lots later this morning to get more pots and seed potatoes, etc. The add came out yesterday and you really have to read it carefully to see they finally have all their garden supplies in for the season. I’m so excited. Gotta go now. Here are the pictures of my garden I just took a half hour ago. Need more melting.

This is asparagus
032BF59C-371F-41F7-9735-0A60D2E1D3FA.jpeg

This is the garlic. Fingers crossed.
A50C2F73-A828-4138-A8C6-7057837E826C.jpeg

You could utilize this, but the easiest solution to feed tomatoes in my opinion is blood meal and/or worm castings. Both are organic and have less likeliness to burn the plants than using concentrated liquid fertilizer. Since this is intended for an AeroGarden, you will likely need to mix this with water and I would look at the ratios provided with the original product it came with.
Can you explain the application of worm castings and blood meal? Do you sprinkle it on, dry? Do you add it to water?

Back
Top Bottom