What did you do in the garden today?

Usually I start my tomatoes in little peat cells (the little jiffy compressed tabs that expand with water). Once they have sprouted and have some good leaves, they get up-potted to a larger container - usually a clean quart yogurt container with holes drilled in the bottom. I mix up new soil for the up-potting, and I mix in some dry fertilizer to the soil in the bottom of the container. I trim off all lower leaves from the tomatoes, and when they are put into the container, I bury as much of the stem as I can. This causes more roots to form, as they will form roots off their stems when they are in a humid environment or touching soil. Yours look like they are at the perfect size to up-pot into some larger containers that are deeper. Then, once it is time to plant outside, I dig a deep hole (and/or angled trench), putting some Nitrogen fertilizer tabs in the bottom - Miracle Grow quick start tabs are easy to find, and cover these with a thin layer of soil. I plant the tomatoes deep, again burying as much stem as possible - either in a deep hole or in the angled trench. I think @TJAnonymous plants her tomatoes with a mix of shrimp, egg shells, and a few other things rather than a fertilizer.

Overall, tomatoes are pretty hardy - given the right nutrition. Good luck!
Thank you. I started then in my AeroGarden. Moved them to cells, and then these pots. It all happened so quickly! I guess I'll need to look for larger pots. I don't have any, yet. Didn't expect this rapid of growth. I'm new to this

Thank you. I started then in my AeroGarden. Moved them to cells, and then these pots. It all happened so quickly! I guess I'll need to look for larger pots. I don't have any, yet. Didn't expect this rapid of growth. I'm new to this
The definitely might need nutrition but also check on your lighting situation. If they have grown too close to the light it could be light damage. Also if 18 hours a day could be a little on the high side depending on strength of light. Just make sure the amount of light and the distance away from them is in a healthy range.

I did a search on if mosquitoes were attracted to human urine and found out that our sweat, saliva and urine has pheromones that attract mosquitoes. This gave me an idea, I will pour some urine on a strip of cloth and dry it in the sun and then use it in my mosquito trap. I read that cats and dogs use their urine to leave their scent, so I will leave mine for the mosquitoes. :lau

Read more at:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst

Good morning gardeners. The ice cap crusted over again last night so much I can walk on top of it. Good news this morning, all 36 cells in the starter trays of leeks have sprouts. Leeks are sooo slooow! I “walked” about the gardens and the raised beds are all nestled under several inches of frozen snow. I ordered 4 inch grow pots yesterday online and am headed to my favorite bargain store, Ocean State Job Lots later this morning to get more pots and seed potatoes, etc. The add came out yesterday and you really have to read it carefully to see they finally have all their garden supplies in for the season. I’m so excited. Gotta go now. Here are the pictures of my garden I just took a half hour ago. Need more melting.

This is asparagus
View attachment 3427330
This is the garlic. Fingers crossed.
View attachment 3427331
That looks.... Cold. 🥶

The definitely might need nutrition but also check on your lighting situation. If they have grown too close to the light it could be light damage. Also if 18 hours a day could be a little on the high side depending on strength of light. Just make sure the amount of light and the distance away from them is in a healthy range.
Thank you! Here's what the lamp description is:

Monios-L T5 LED Grow Light, 4FT Full Spectrum Sunlight Replacement, 60W High Output​

I did raise it up a little. Do you think maybe 15 hours would be better?

I just got my first quote on getting a water line run to the garden. It's 204 feet from my main meter to the garden (which is CLOSER than the distance between the house and the garden). They also will have to tear out a 2 ft path across my driveway and repair it afterwards.

The damage - $3500

This doesn't include another $400ish to buy the actual irrigation system (timer, drip line, poly line, emitters, etc).

So $4k total before I'm done. 😑

Of course! Spreading the gardening love. Just like I said, it's a bit smelly. Anytime I mix that soil combo it smells like stinky socks, so beware! I can imagine that's why some people don't like to go fully organic since the process is not the nicest smelling.

SuperThrive, if you are thinking of using it, smells like absolutely foul gym socks left in a 100F car for a week. Diluting it helps of course, but your gardens stinks for a few hours after.
I use SuperThrive religiously... Especially with shipped plants

I just got my first quote on getting a water line run to the garden. It's 204 feet from my main meter to the garden (which is CLOSER than the distance between the house and the garden). They also will have to tear out a 2 ft path across my driveway and repair it afterwards.

The damage - $3500

This doesn't include another $400ish to buy the actual irrigation system (timer, drip line, poly line, emitters, etc).

Yikes!

The damage - $3500

So run the 1/2 water line through a aluminum pipe across the driveway and secure it down and bump bump over it for the watering season.

Back
Top Bottom