What did you do in the garden today?

Does anyone know a lot about composting? I am trying to design and build a solar water heater for chickens. with a backup system of manure heat for when it is cloudy. I am specifically intetested in different types of manure and how much heat they produce.
I have already started building , so any info will be appreciated asap.

Thanks for the well wishes! Lots of water, steroids and antibiotics knock this thing back.

Today in the gardens I'll be harvesting kale, a few remaining peppers, straggling corn, cherry tomatoes and various herbs* for folks at work. Signing up a new gardener to the Community Garden today. Unsure of his prior experience but it doesn't really matter. We like to say, the best gardener is the one getting the most enjoyment. If anyone is interested, there are a couple videos about Lakewood Community Garden up on YouTube. It's Lakewood CA, not to be confused with the fine folk in WA or CO. :cool:

*Culinary herbs...there are still some of us in California that don't grow Hippie Lettuce.

Last edited:
Does anyone know a lot about composting? I am trying to design and build a solar water heater for chickens. with a backup system of manure heat for when it is cloudy. I am specifically intetested in different types of manure and how much heat they produce.
I have already started building , so any info will be appreciated asap.
Lawn clippings from landscapers gets extremely hot at the start. Also very smelly. I don’t know much about manures but I’ve read they can be effective. Timing would be very important I think

Lawn clippings from landscapers gets extremely hot at the start. Also very smelly. I don’t know much about manures but I’ve read they can be effective. Timing would be very important I think
Well no landscapers around here, out in the middle of the woods. I am going with chicken and rabbit poo, with some shavings and leaves. We don't have grass, so no possiblity there. Maybe some hay.

Glad to see some of you still have the green thumb going. My wife picked what was left of the crops a couple weeks ago ahead of a major freeze, then turned the garden over to our feathered tilling crew. We had a bumper winter squash crop, and she has been gradually drying and putting up the last of the tomatoes, peppers, apples and herbs while handling most of the other chores since an accident sidelined me for the last couple months. I hope to be back in action by year's end attending to the myriad of projects unfinished from the summer (weather willing!)

Glad to see some of you still have the green thumb going. My wife picked what was left of the crops a couple weeks ago ahead of a major freeze, then turned the garden over to our feathered tilling crew. We had a bumper winter squash crop, and she has been gradually drying and putting up the last of the tomatoes, peppers, apples and herbs while handling most of the other chores since an accident sidelined me for the last couple months. I hope to be back in action by year's end attending to the myriad of projects unfinished from the summer (weather willing!)
Tiller, sorry to hear you had an accident! My husband is still recovering from falling out of a treewith a chain saw, and then yesterday he fell down a bank almost into the river! I am not much better, fell over the dog while carrying the cat and hurt my knees! Life is dangerous!

I've been reading about black soldier fly larvae and thinking about converting my greehouse to a walk in mating facility for them. It would be pretty darn easy with a few plants and a box of compost for their nursery. I've looked at getting rolls of butterfly netting to attach in place of the plastic. I might have to wait for a tree to grow some for a little shade first, maybe. Since they'll eat chicken poop, the dead doves that fall from the sky (oopsie, hawk dropped her lunch) and leftovers I wouldn't feed my birds I think it's a great way to compost and give my chickens a treat that's both healthy and they love.

@GardenTillers44 hoping you're back on your feet soon! I hate getting hurt, but when it puts work on hold that just makes it harder.

Back
Top Bottom