What did you do in the garden today?

G’morning all. It’s going to be in the mid 80’s today, but by Sunday it’ll only be 60. Possible rain a good portion of the weekend. I’m not complaining, we need it even though we’re over the average for this time of year. There’s new growth down low I need to cut off the lemon tree and one of the the lilacs but that’s about it. Well, and move all the trimmings from earlier in the year to the patio so we can shred soon. It has been raining every weekend or just before and it has all been too wet to run through the shredder. That’s it for me. The tomatoes are flowering and the lemon tree is still putting out new flowers; it sounds like a bee hive out there after it warms up :love

In my experience regarding cicadas, in areas that the ground has been disturbed for construction activities that will destroy the underground nests of the cicadas, you likely won't see or hear the little buggers. Where I'm currently living cicadas are rare. About 10 to 15 years ago homeowners had to replace their cesspools for septic tanks. Therefore there was a lot of digging happening around here. When I lived south of the Mason Dixon line I lived in a few communities that hadn't been changed at all in 50 years or more. There the cicadas were well established and on a 7 year and 13(?) year cycle. I'll be headed out shortly to pick up baby Australorps.

Thank you! State trust land, no shooting allowed and I wouldn’t shoot it anyway. Unless it was actively hunting me and thy don’t do that. He was just living his life and some human came and provided him some nice shade on a warm day….it’s his home, not mine.
That's fair. I wouldn't shoot on public land without a permit. However my first instinct is "oh look, food!" 😂 We eat them here, but we shoot them on private land and shoot them because of the horses, cattle and goats that they make sick or kill if they get bit. We eat anything we shoot. We can't shoot ground squirrels, can't eat them and I'm not paying for lead free 223 to protect the big birds in the area. So we set up raptor perches and plant trees for them to hunt.

Goat watch: Day 147 (max). No signs of impending birth today. But, what do I know? I'm new to all this.

Pregnant goats: Lunch on left, rugrats on right. (her right).

This is Roxie - likely a little further along than the other. Her "rugrat" side is next to the fence - she doesn't look too big.
Screen Shot 2024-03-29 at 12.36.17 PM.png

This is Molly: We thought she might be 2-3 weeks behind Roxie, but I'm thinking she might not be too far behind...maybe she'll birth first. She seems a little less big than Roxie.
Screen Shot 2024-03-29 at 12.35.53 PM.png

Apparently, goats wait for the worst weather possible to give birth. So, here is the worst weather in the next week:
Screen Shot 2024-03-29 at 12.34.09 PM.png

Monday looks like a good candidate for a birth day. Kinda chilly, and rather wet considering good rain the day before and lots of rain that day.

any one here grow sorghum to make molasses/syrup?

bought a few hundred seeds to give it a try as I found out we could grow it up here in Canada (the type of sorghum is Mennonite) and want to give it a try to make some molasses/syrup from it, as no cane sugar is growing here in Canada haha

any one here grow sorghum to make molasses/syrup?

bought a few hundred seeds to give it a try as I found out we could grow it up here in Canada (the type of sorghum is Mennonite) and want to give it a try to make some molasses/syrup from it, as no cane sugar is growing here in Canada haha
But you have maple syrup?

Back
Top Bottom