What did you do in the garden today?

I tried fighting the early, cool/cold weather last spring by using row covers or plastic over my tomatoes, and they still got shocked by the cold and had to be replanted.

This year I'm letting the weather dictate when I should plant things.
I hear you on that. I’m only planting cool hardy plants now. I’m holding my breath my peach tree doesn’t blossom for another week and hoping it doesn’t get as cold overnight.

Carrots do better planted in the fall.
View attachment 3803714
Harvested March 1.
I think I'm going to do that later this year... The carrots I missed last year that over-wintered did really well. I think it's also my best chance to combat the voles and gophers that keep killing my carrot crop. I just planted a bunch in a raised bed as a last resort.

1713380336607.png

With these lows gong into the 30s in a few nights I'm not getting much into the garden. Waiting to plant green beans soon. And the starts in the garage are getting huge. Tomatoes, yellow squash and watermelon need to go outside ASAP, but the weather is going to make me wait.

The good ones DON'T, but the pressure on the on-air personalities to draw viewers by their higher-ups at the station is INCREDIBLE.
Viewers=$
Sorry you all have dorks watching over you.
I have to say we have been truly blessed in the weather department here in the station we watch. Not perfect, but pretty accurate.

I like being able to look at the weather radar on the stations website so we can see what’s happening in real time. Very useful tool.

I ran out of milk, so I used 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream and made this bread with 3 cups of flour, oil, 1TBS sugar, and forgot to add 1/2tsp salt. The 4 round dough balls I put in the pan joined together and fluffed up. I wonder how it will taste without the salt?

Update, I didn't miss the salt, my 3/8 inch thick ham slice with mayo/mustard sauce and lettuce balanced everything out. I won't put salt when I make this again. This may be the best and softest hamburger bun I ever made in my lifetime.

DSCN0361.JPG

Last edited:
Going to plant more dahlias tonight... Wish my glads would get here...

Temps are going to to drop 20 degrees tomorrow. Potatoes in the new raised bed are coming up.
Dang, I never checked on my Dahlia bulbs over the winter.

Got a load of wood chips today - so yay! I had 1 itty bitty pile left I was hoarding. :gig

Rain is coming. Watered yesterday. There are radishes & carrots coming up. Going to pick some lettuce for dinner before I get wet!

Back
Top Bottom