What did you do in the garden today?

I'm sorry and we've had warmer, dryer summers too but colder winters. That said, it's still a good climate. *spooky fingers* come to the southern Oregon coast, we have cookies...
:lau :lau
See the sprout with the seed coat still on it? (The little green thing next to it is a weed.)
View attachment 3806210
It's a pepper. I have had a lot of seeds do this this year. In years past, these usually dry out and die. The leaves never make it out of the seed coat. I don't know why this happens; maybe because the soil is too cool or too dry?

Anyway, I have saved every one of these by dripping a drop of water onto the seed coat, 2-3 times a day. It keeps the coat from drying out, sticking to the seed leaves. This little guy is now a cayenne pepper seedling.
This has happened to me quite a bit this year, it's annoying.
Spit has enzyme or something that helps dissolve the stuff holding the hat " seed coat" on .
Good to know!
Common sense should have told me that the spit would be placed on the fingertip, and then transferred to the seed coat. Sleepy brain imagined licking the little seedling.... so, yeah. I'm going to bed, now.
Hilarious. :gig

Morning. Raining here - shocking, I know. I see low 30s in the forecast which means colder for me. Wondering if I need to cover anything - probably should & easy enough to do.

I keep finding peanut shells in my compost - I sure hope there wasn't enough to cause me problems with all the potting mix I made from it. Onions seem to be growing well in it, but it's too early to tell with anything else.

I‘ve got a food dehydrator , it depends on what you call cheap ( compared to a freeze dryer, it was a bargain) since I finally got some solar panels last year ( only 2 small ones, but hey, every little bit helps) I always try to run energy consuming machines when the sun shines 😅
Yes, it's a cheap one. It's a Secco Pro Chefwave 6-tray. While I think it was more expensive when it was purchased, they are now only like $100 on Amazon. It's very limited in functionality and not produced very good results whenever I've used it.

So I'd almost rather sell it for a few bucks and get a freeze dryer. I just gotta come to terms with the cost.

Regarding the peach trees. My peach tree always blooms before my apple trees.
Same. My peach trees bloomed around March 20th, according to this picture. My apple trees didn't bloom until about 2 weeks ago.

20240320_123314.jpg

We had a freeze after my peaches bloomed. I really thought they'd be toast but both trees have fruit. I'm quite surprised... Now I'm just praying they make it to harvest. One has already dropped some fruit. 🙏🙏🙏

Yesterday afternoon I pulled the weeds out of my raised beds. Took about 10 minutes.

Last fall I topped the beds with compost and then a layer of maple leaves, so there weren't that many weeds to pull. Most were little maple seedlings that were brought in with the leaves I used to mulch the beds.

I gave the garden a shot of water first thing this morning. Also watered my tomato and pepper starts in the house.

Chicken run is covered and completely predator proof now!! We put metal roof panels up to meet the wall of the barn, so something can’t enter up top between the 1’ gap that was between the roof and barn wall.

Asparagus fresh from garden is yummy. We’ve been picking it this week!

Something is just wrong with this pic.
View attachment 3806533

OHIO has most tornadoes this year?? So weird.
We have to have moisture and the right system set up for tornadoes to start up here. The tornado belt season hasn't started yet.....just sayin. We ramp up from late April to July in Tornado alley, and we just added 5 a couple days ago to that 8, in one 4 hour span.

Back
Top Bottom