What did you make from your garden today?

Pics
So far I’ve harvested lettuce & spinach for salads a bunch of times, and kale & chard for cooked greens. Bush beans are getting bigger, so hopefully they will flower soon! We had a rainy cold spell (in the 50s-60s which is REALLY cold for June) so everything just kind of went dormant….my tomatoes and peppers are so confused! 😂. Garlic scapes are ready to pick as well!

Delphinium, Peony, Cornflower, and Snapdragon
8268_0.jpg

Delphinium, Rose, Snapdragon, Ivy, and Weeds

This one is made with some 'weeds' and 'leftover' flowers, including side shoots, short or deformed stems. However, the size doesn't matter, at least not that much in terms of arranging bouquets - it's a universe in whatever container. For me, this one is a much more complete piece.

8266_0.jpg

Just like cooking or many other aspects of our lives, following what is defined by anyone else only makes sense when we want to. Having luxurious or rare plants to work with is of course, great; but countless 'weeds' offer generously very rich choices of foliage, flowers, and even fruits. The small bouquet makes me unexpectedly contented.

Delphinium, Peony, Cornflower, and Snapdragon
View attachment 3547766

Delphinium, Rose, Snapdragon, Ivy, and Weeds

This one is made with some 'weeds' and 'leftover' flowers, including side shoots, short or deformed stems. However, the size doesn't matter, at least not that much in terms of arranging bouquets - it's a universe in whatever container. For me, this one is a much more complete piece.

View attachment 3547768

Just like cooking or many other aspects of our lives, following what is defined by anyone else only makes sense when we want to. Having luxurious or rare plants to work with is of course, great; but countless 'weeds' offer generously very rich choices of foliage, flowers, and even fruits. The small bouquet makes me unexpectedly contented.
You truly have a gift for arranging beautiful bouquets @Phaedra Geiermann

I've been disappointed with my flowers this year. Most did not germinate. Some of the cosmos did but are very sparse on the flowers which looked pitiful. The only thing that produced decent flowers was the bachelor buttons and columbine. Even my roses have been sparse this year... Too bad.

Made a bouquet of lilies and feverfew for a friend. Sorry, no picture. Ate and froze some strawberries. Snow peas and bok choy waiting to be in a wok with garlic scapes.
Ooh it all sounds so good! The last time I tried to grow bok choy the flea beetles made hash of them. I buy it a lot I should try it again.

Ooh it all sounds so good! The last time I tried to grow bok choy the flea beetles made hash of them. I buy it a lot I should try it again.
These were volunteers that were small and beginning to bolt, but still tender enough to eat. Hoping more volunteers come up next month, then they shouldn't bolt with the lessening daylight hours, maybe. Slugs love them. Flea beetles are not fun to battle. I have been using Dead Bug Brew for that, and on my potatoes, too. When the rain stops, I'll have to spray another round. Letting a few bok choy go to seed, since I am out. Good luck!

You truly have a gift for arranging beautiful bouquets @Phaedra Geiermann

I've been disappointed with my flowers this year. Most did not germinate. Some of the cosmos did but are very sparse on the flowers which looked pitiful. The only thing that produced decent flowers was the bachelor buttons and columbine. Even my roses have been sparse this year... Too bad.
Thank you for your kind words, and cheer up, the summer and autumn are still waiting. Do you plant some Dahlia this year? From Last year, I decided to grow more perennials, and that saves me some effort from planting annual flowers. So this year, I planted even more perennials from the early spring.

Rose, Yarrow, Snapdragon, Foxglove, Delphinium, Salvia, Echinacea, and Sweet Pea
8342.jpg

Back
Top Bottom