What did your chickens do today?

so sorry for your loss
sad.png

Spent all day in the new outside area-dug some good holes and had a good dusting and roll. Also enjoyed me cleaning up all the scrap wood because they got to eat all the bugs from underneath.

my rather scared rooster just pecked my foot. the occasional quack is coming out of my young waterfowl flock.(sorry if its not about chickens, but i'll just throw that in) the rest of my hens are hiding eggs.

Our three new peeps (Red, Fred and Ted; Drogon, Rhaegal, and Viserion; or Simon, Marcy, and Fionna, depending whom you ask) left the nest and fell plop into the run. Mama followed, and there they stay. The assorted aunties ignored the newcomers, except to steal a blade of grass from one. "No! Not for babies!" Meanwhile I racked my brains trying to rig a ramp so the peeps could get back *up* into the coop, with no success. All hens are tired of my antics, shoving boards around and generally bothering them. A big clump of tasty chickweed went a long way to soothe angry tempers.

Today was the first day my chickens went outside of their coop and run! When I said I wanted to raise chickens my husband agreed to them only if they were NOT free range. They are exactly a year old now and he has grown rather fond of them and now doesn't mind if they go out. I started opening the coop in the evenings a week ago, and only one hen has ventured out, Sharon, my Golden Comet. This evening three more followed, (they are Silver Lace Wyandotte's and pretty shy) and the last out was Annabelle my other Golden Comet. They had such a great time exploring, and they were very happy to find the compost pile! My family really had a great time watching our "Chicken TV"!

Back
Top Bottom